Second Skin Audio

what I do for direct connect subs.

Crump

When DD first came out, i ordered one of the earlier sets of 9917 woofers. Came as quad 2 ohm with direst connect. So i called and asked them this question, and i was told, do not solder the leads, twist the ends together, heat shrink the leads, cap the twisted end, the tape the whole thing again. This came from DD, but granted, this was like 8 years ago, I'm sure there have been huge advancements in soldering technology.

Also, on a similar note, EarthQuake said the same thing about hooking up to the D2 (when it came out, 12 years ago), they too said solder while making a better mechanical connection, it fails in the electrical connection versus straight copper to copper. It was in the original 200UHC and the D2 owners manual.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

The solder actually combines with the wire to form a new alloy and creates a permanent electrical and mechanical bond between the 2 wires.

This connection point is actually stronger than the wire itself and often times yields a lower resistance due to more mass of conductive metal.

solders conductivity is in the 5-10% range. copper to copper alone has about 98% conductivity.

so if you take two items that are almost 100% efficient with moving electricity, and add another item that yields only 5-10% of the same conductivity that the copper does... how do you determine that it will be better? adding the solder will make the bond stronger, but since there is less conductivity, it will create resistance and slow the flow.

i know you're the leader of T3, so you know a thing or two, but i dont see you being right on this one. the physics makes sense to me :01nocomment8so:

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

solders conductivity is in the 5-10% range. copper to copper alone has about 98% conductivity.

so if you take two items that are almost 100% efficient with moving electricity, and add another item that yields only 5-10% of the same conductivity that the copper does... how do you determine that it will be better? adding the solder will make the bond stronger, but since there is less conductivity, it will create resistance and slow the flow.

i know you're the leader of T3, so you know a thing or two, but i dont see you being right on this one. the physics makes sense to me :01nocomment8so:

LOL trust me, it dont pay arguing... You could be a NASA Engineer with bachelor degrees from harverd and yale falling out your ass everytime you take a step, people will want to believe what they will..

I remember this being discussed in chat already, and Kingsuv /bill made the comment, if solder wasnt as conductive as copper why is it used inside amps...

You can try to reason with people til your blue in the face, but they think since they are 50 years old they know all! :P

There is no solder connection that can compared to a hydraulic crimp, and yet people still insist soldering is better because your filling a copper lug full of a crappy less conductive metal alloy, when the fact is that the crimp gives you a cold weld. Welding > Soldering

crimper.jpg

formed.jpg

There is no solder connection that can compared to a hydraulic crimp, and yet people still insist soldering is better because your filling a copper lug full of a crappy less conductive metal alloy, when the fact is that the crimp gives you a cold weld. Welding > Soldering

While I agree about the hydraulic crimp>solder, I do not agree with Wire nuts>solder. Wire nuts are designed for solid stranded premise wiring, not fine strand speaker wire. It will chew that shit up. And don't just think that because someone is 50 years old that they do not know anything. That is a typical juvenile attitude.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

http://www.myhrsb.ca/Functions/Program/Sta...onductivity.htm

http://www.efunda.com/materials/solders/types.cfm

If you want solder that conducts better, use a silver solder with a high percentage of solder.

Otherwise, on a wire to wire connection, do everything to make as much of one set of wire strands touch as much of the other set of strands. Braid it, twist it, individually seperate the strands and shuffle them together like a deck of cards....

Edit: in the end though. grab your multi meter and test resistance accross the different joints and see how much difference there really is, i can tell you what you will see but nothing will tell you more then your own eyes. So instead of being ignorant of the subject and accepting what anyone else can tell you, see it for yourself.

Cold Welding > Soldering

crimper.jpg

formed.jpg

LOL, I was about to post those pics too, I have had those saved for a while back from Chargers Build, which reminds me I need to order a Hyraulic Crimper.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I'm sure there have been huge advancements in soldering technology.

just thought this was funny :lol:

how do you make huge technological advancements in melting some alloy on to wire to join them?

...heat it faster :lol:

oh and does anyone want to tell me where in this thread crump said he wanted you to tell him how he should do it.

the title is "what I do for direct connect subs"

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Wires

yea.jpg

Twist em

yea1.jpg

Top em and twist em

yea2.jpg

Cant pull that shit off

yea3.jpg

:D

What do you guys do, and keep in mind these will be all taped up so 0 chance of them coming undone.

Both DD and AQ recommend twisting the wires together and using a wire nut and wrap with electrical tape. This is a copper to copper connection and we think is the best connection possible. It is also fast and easy and makes changing subs very fast when needed to do so. Wire nuts are used in houses because it is required under the electrical codes. Wire nuts work fine on stranded wire.

The weakest connection on a speaker is the speaker terminal itself. These things for the most part are made of steel with a cheap plating. Coils are not made with steel wire so why should terminals? Speaker terminals cost about 15-20 cents each. We spend much more then that for the 10 gauge direct connect copper leads.

Archived