DC Sound Lab

Don't you guys remember the old grade school science trick where you stack books on eggs?

Concave is world's stronger than a flat cone. The material isn't what makes the cone strong, it's the shape.

Apparently nobody remembers the eD epic failure. (not to mention a 4" coil with a 12 spoke basket)

I'd like to see some former-to-cone joint pictures, because I'm sure it isn't pretty.

My nut-hugging meter is through the roof in this thread. Rusty could take a dump and stamp a DC logo on it and you guys would be lining up all wanting a wiff.

I was always taught that as well. Maybe they know something we don't.... I would love to see the results.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

so Rusty eats and shits 4in. coils and a shit ton of of motor, i think id wash it off and pay him for it as long as it is the same build quality and he says its loud(got no reason to doubt him i mean no of the other subs are epic fails) . there is no need to be so harsh about it not sure if you have been keeping an eye on the lvl6 but that is absolutly not the basket for the lvl6 (someone can correct me if im wrong but i doubt it) as for the carbon cone i think it was made apparent that there will be extensive testing done before it is offically released just like the rest of the small Quality compinies that want to stay Quality. I may be way off base but i think i remember a loud truck with these a while back hmmmm,and now maybe A nother truck with loud flat pistons . But who knows you may be smarter than the guys that built the sub and have been im sure designing and testing these for a while and if your right hats off to you but i doubt it.

Edited by windowtinter

Don't you guys remember the old grade school science trick where you stack books on eggs?

Concave is world's stronger than a flat cone. The material isn't what makes the cone strong, it's the shape.

Apparently nobody remembers the eD epic failure. (not to mention a 4" coil with a 12 spoke basket)

I'd like to see some former-to-cone joint pictures, because I'm sure it isn't pretty.

My nut-hugging meter is through the roof in this thread. Rusty could take a dump and stamp a DC logo on it and you guys would be lining up all wanting a wiff.

You call it hating, I call it design flaws and misinformation.

You seem to be jumping to some quick conclusions, i feel the misinformation is being spread by you.

You are correct about the cone shape making it strong, but i will tell you this, the cone we are testing out here although flat has much more strength then a paper cone. After all i am not completely stupid. It wouldnt make much sense to "upgrade" to something not as strong.

This first sub we did the cone on is only for first tests, and not the finished product, not that the former cone connection is ugly. The parts for this will be machined very shortly, and again once we have actual production assemblies made i will be testing them vs paper once again. On that note i have yet to put this to the test, you will have to wait a bit. We will see if we can get a single XL 15 over the 178 mark. :clapping: Nut hug that.

tommy is correct that cone is stronger than flat

but in this case id believe carbon fiber is able to hold up

however if the cone does crack or break then you will know why and how to fix it

it does look god tho

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

If we test a DD 99Z 18" vs this DC XL 15" with the flat cone and it comes even close to the same score what would you think? Im just curious. I personally dont expect the XL to be as loud for obvious reasons but still. The test will be done in a extreme vehicle. No better test then that, where everything is controlled, and far more consistent. what would be a respectable score with out sub failure? Lets not forget the XL is still a streetbeat designed sub dont expect 180s for it lol.

the carbon fiber could maybe be twice as thick as paper cone and still weigh less.and be stronger than a resined back paper cone and still be and suffer way less flexing under lots of spl im sure you havent been stuck in a hole for the last few years you know that stuff is used for ultralight weight and super stong parts in some of the most demanding situations you can imagine formula1 racing comes to mind just as an example.

I've seen that cone in person and I would say it will have zero issues with strength. So of the coolest ideas I have seen in awhile. I look forward to seeing a more production ready model.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Here is another thing to think about in terms of cone area. Lets look at a piston in a engine. Does the shape of a piston change the bore size?

But like said already the whole cancellation aspect is huge, not to mention the strength advantage, lighter moving mass, less turbulence on and round the sub, and the ability to do some extra tricks with the soft parts not possible with a paper cone. Oh did i mention it looks 10x better then a paper cone?

I will do a bit better testing with this prototype when i get home and can put some real power to it. Maybe even try it out in a 180+ extreme vehicle to see whats louder, how does that sound? Han? :dj:

very true!!

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!