Sonic Electronix

Hey, I am wondering how you calculate and tune for differnt hertz, when building a box. I know hertz is cycles per second, but what is the difference in higher hertz and lower hertz. i see alot of people tune there boxes to like middle 30s. I am just wanting a basic understanding of what different hertz do and how you create different hertz when building a box...thanks alot.

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

In a ported enclosure you can tune for specific hz by adjusting the length of the port... In every different sized enclosure the length will differ for whatever you are trying to tune to.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

port area also plays a role. the more port area you have, the longer the port needs to be to maintain a frequency tuning of a port that has less port area. the port with less area can be much shorter. also you dont want too much port area or too little port area. general rule of thumb is 12-16 sq inches of port per cubic foot

wow im a highschooler and just learning the important stuff about car audio. You guys started somewhere too. But thanks for the help.

trial and error bud (not trying be a dick) but i learned on my own after failing i picked up a pen and paper and calculator and started reading

plug in your numbers in the http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp figure out how many cubes your box is.

box = X = 5 cubes

so in order to find my port area i times how many cubes my box is by 13-16 to find out how many square^2 of port there is

so 5*15 is 75 so i'd have 75^2 of port

once i have that need to plug in some numbers to make that 75" of port work with you so say my port is 12" tall i need it to be 6.25" wide

i get all that and take it here and plug in my numbers and come up with how long my port needs to be

pretty simple

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0