I have a coupe that im trying to take the rear glass out of and i was wondering how to go about it. a while back i painted the inside window black because i walled off my car and thought that it would be easy to remove with a simple razor blade and paint thinner but thats not the case and they want 100 bucks to remove the window and 50 to remount the window... i was thinking of just using a putty knife and heating it up then basically burning off the glue that holds on the window is this the best method?

while its out i plan on tinting it with double 5% tint along with the rear side windows...

im hoping it will be much easier to remove the old paint once the glass is out which it should be

Edited by dccavalier

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

Joo get a REALLY BIG rock...or do it steve meade status and throw a subwoofer lol

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

They make special cutters to heat up the glue that holds the window in as it cuts. Pretty pricey tool however.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and cut the seal/glue with piano wire (its going to take 2 people) 1 person on the inside of the car, other on the outside, and just pull the piano wire back and forth.

Works best when your doing it outside in the hot summer sun.

To make it easier you can try to heat up the glue with a heatgun in small spots before cutting.

They make special cutters to heat up the glue that holds the window in as it cuts. Pretty pricey tool however.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and cut the seal/glue with piano wire (its going to take 2 people) 1 person on the inside of the car, other on the outside, and just pull the piano wire back and forth.

Works best when your doing it outside in the hot summer sun.

To make it easier you can try to heat up the glue with a heatgun in small spots before cutting.

This.

Cold outside? Might as well say fuck it and break it, with it cold the glue won't set properly. Take it into a shop. Or do it yourself in a heated shop.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

you guys dont think the putty knife way would work? i seen the special cutters but they are like 75 bucks and kinda a waste if im only going to use it once... ill try my method then the piano wire method and see how it goes... also how would i get the wire started?

any other possible ways of going about this?

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

This.

Cold outside? Might as well say fuck it and break it, with it cold the glue won't set properly. Take it into a shop. Or do it yourself in a heated shop.

i have a heated shop and in no hurry really just looks like crap on the inside imo

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

you guys dont think the putty knife way would work? i seen the special cutters but they are like 75 bucks and kinda a waste if im only going to use it once... ill try my method then the piano wire method and see how it goes... also how would i get the wire started?

any other possible ways of going about this?

If you want to attempt shattering your window, go nuts with a putty knife. Auto glass is pretty weak when its not glued into the car.

When I help out at my buddies salvage yard, we did the piano wire trick for 15 plus years! Well before Ive been helping. The boss man just picked up the heated cutting tool last summer, and it simplifies the job from 2 people and a good 30-45 minutes to 1 person and 15-20 minutes.

Piano wire aint to expensive, can find it online or at a music store that sells/repairs pianos.

Its sharp and will cut you easily! So if your able to get 2 short wooden dowels about the width of your hand, drill a tiny hole in the middle to feed the piano wire thru and wrap it around a few times you should be fine. Wise idea to wear a pair of gloves for extra protection too!

then just feed the wire thru the glass seal, and put an identical handle on the other side.

Its a pita and Ive broke many windows doing it, some windows are easier then others, different types of glue sometimes makes it harder.

IMO your better off paying the 75$

Just something Ive found online.

Pretty much the same exact thing as piano wire and 2 wooden dowels, only some company just made some handles and made a kit.

Probolly kinda pricey too. They also got cutters simular to what we got at the salvage yard.

https://www.equalizerfusion.com/ProductDeta...fpayZsw6m/LxV8h