Second Skin Audio

Can A kicker L7 Handle 2k watts?

Rainkey

On paper the L7s will take 200 watts over RMS with comfort. If you only have one 12 then you will be fine with any amp between 750 to 1000 watts. LOL why not 900 watts, because its a weird number to find on an amp on paper.

When I was running a system it was 2 10 inch 2006 models being powered by a RF 1501BD. On paper the 2 L7 10s could handle 600 watts apiece and my RF 1501BD is 1500watts@2ohm or birth sheet power 1600@2ohm, so on paper I was giving my subs 800 watts apiece.

Something I'm not going to explain is that in reality when playing music my power output going to those subs was avergeing 1200 watts full tilt unless it was a speciffic rap song. then I'm sure my amp was trying to put out 1400 or so. Sorry but I don't think you are quite ready to try and understand this yet.

At the end of the day or 2 years later my subs are still in perfect shape and tight as can be and don't smell funny, they are in perfect shape in every aspect.

You will be fine with an amp that does 750 to 1000 watts at what ever ohm load you need. If the sub blows in all honesty it will be your fault.

Good luck and have fun.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

my freind has 2 kicker l7's stapped to 4000 watts for comp. has had the subs for a pretty long time...almost 2 years or more. I think he turns the gain way down when not at comps.

It's not your friend with the "Kicker Kong" is it? :01nocomment8so: :01nocomment8so: :01nocomment8so:

EDIT: Prettttty sure the L7's and below use a Kapton (read: plastic) former so they don't handle excess coil heat at all well...

Double edit: Ok the NEW L7's use a aluminium former. So maybe they can take a bit more.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Id say youre probably going to break something mechanically before you bake the coil. Unless you were to put it in something that holds excursion down. Even then any clipping will kill the coil.

My Type R was taking 500 over RMS daily and it still plays perfectly I just had to make sure I paid attention to the song and any kind of smells or funny noises.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Alpine CDA-9886

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-50.4

Rainbow SAC 265.25 Components

Image Dynamics iD12

Optima Yellow Top

SQFire FTW.

been feeding my 12" l7 1500 watts rms for 3 years now..if you are smart about it and know what you are doing then it'll be fine...Although the l7s suspension has gone to shit after all these years it still works lol.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

been feeding my 12" l7 1500 watts rms for 3 years now..if you are smart about it and know what you are doing then it'll be fine...Although the l7s suspension has gone to shit after all these years it still works lol.

When you say smart about it do u mean like setting the gains and such correctly???

Archived