02 Grand Am GT Throttle Problem

Vehicle is a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 3.4L V6. 100K on odo.

The throttle 'bounces' or 'oscillates' between the RPM's of 1000-3000. At any gear 2nd and up. I don't know any other word to describe what its doing. It's not just the Tach thats bouncing, its the motor too.

It seems to do it with a certain amount of pressure on the gas pedal. It began after the starter was recently replaced.

What could be causing the 'bouncing' of the throttle?

Derp.

IAC or TPS sensors

Isn't the IAC only to help regulate the amount of air that enters the engine at idle? If I remember right.....

And wouldn't a bad or faulty TPS sensor indicate problems such as hesitation or stumbling during acceleration?

IDK if TPS and IAC problems vary from vehicle to vehicle....

Derp.

IAC or TPS sensors

You need to try and take the filter and intake tract off. Check the MAF sensor for ANY debris. Actually get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean it anyways. Take the tract off. Inspect around the throttle plate(butterfly valve(s)). If there is any debris, discoloration, or anything causing it to hang or catch clean it!! Find something to snake in a little past the butterfly valve(s) to clean it. Make sure its nice and clean and crank it. May hesitate at first for a few seconds.... Then when it fires. Give it a few revs. Drive around to see if the problem still goes on. If not AWESOME! If so.. I would think the IAC and/or the TPS may be going south on you.

03 350Z

when i owned a car i had the same problems and found out all those thing work with 1 another. is ya car throwin a code if so see waht it is and ull find ya problem!!

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

I would try cleaning/replacing the MAF... I had similar issues with my 3800 and a new maf from the junk yard fixed it.

You can actually try unplugging the maf(it will just run off a default table) and take it for a drive to see if it goes away... if it does you know it's the maf.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

I would try cleaning/replacing the MAF... I had similar issues with my 3800 and a new maf from the junk yard fixed it.

You can actually try unplugging the maf(it will just run off a default table) and take it for a drive to see if it goes away... if it does you know it's the maf.

That seems like a good idea. I'll give that one a try...

The GA GT is leaking coolant which ruined the solenoid thus ruined the starter. It also has a tendency to drink oil. (About a quart a month)

There is a possibility that the LIM gasket needs to be changed. I was told that with that gasket leaking while coolant drips out of it, air could be getting into the motor, through the intake runners thus entering the cylinders causing something like a bad vacuum leak. IDK if it has anything to do with the oscillating at mid-range RPM's though...

Hopefully this extra bit of info can help solve the problem.

Derp.

Wait a minute.....

I had to think about this... A faulty MAF would trigger a CEL if I'm right... Which would have to be reset with a scanner tool which I don't have.

Derp.