wow..it's amazing how many people don't password protect their internetz

how did they know you downloaded the movie i do it all the time

I don't know. The guy from the cable company said they get contacted by the movie companies and then it's up to them to contact the customer. It was a new movie that wasn't out on DVD yet. All he told me was to delete any and all torrent software and that would be good enough if it didn't happen again.

I don't think he believed me either but w/e. I put on a password and it hasn't happened again.

I only have a few neighbors close enough to pick up my signal so I know who it was. No big deal, just a kid being a kid. B)

when my internet was 768/384 I did not... But when I upgraded to cable I figured it out and set it up....

Ya sure people do steal it but I figured if they had to jack something that slow then needed it pretty bad!

Better than dial up or if your parents have your internet filtered :D

lol, i think this thread should be exterminated! Because if it weren't for other peoples unlocked networks, than I wouldn't be able to surf my ipod or laptop at other places other than my crib. ;)

tisk tisk tisk lols

I work for an ISP and them movie companies don't play around when it comes to illegally downloading movies. We get contacted by Warner Brothers all the time about our customers downloading movies. They notify our legal department with the offending ip address and then we contact our customer with an email warning them to stop or we'll shut their line down. We give them a few days to a week after the first warning and then if we get more complaints then we cut their line.

How the movie companies find out, I don't know. They obviously have the ip address already and they know that it's being download via a bit torrent software and know what port numbers the traffic is passing across.

How the movie companies find out, I don't know. They obviously have the ip address already and they know that it's being download via a bit torrent software and know what port numbers the traffic is passing across.

More honeypotting. They join the tracker and then seed bad pieces of the file. Anyone who downloads pieces off them has their IP address and port logged for further use. Your torrent client just assumes the piece was corrupt and downloads it off someone else, you'll never know it's happening. Something like BitDefender may or may not help by banning known bad seeders...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

More honeypotting. They join the tracker and then seed bad pieces of the file. Anyone who downloads pieces off them has their IP address and port logged for further use. Your torrent client just assumes the piece was corrupt and downloads it off someone else, you'll never know it's happening. Something like BitDefender may or may not help by banning known bad seeders...

Yeah, that makes sense. Then they go to arin and do a whois on the ip address and find the isp.

*wonders how Boon knows so much about bit torrent*

:P