forget soldering, forget crimping, here it is...pics

Hex-crimp looks beautiful.. I might just have to go buy one!

For you guys soldering, dont just heat and fill then jam the wire in. You need to keep heating for a while after you jam the wire in or you will end up with a "cold" joint which will break.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

lol its so hard to explain what im ttrying to say by typing it out!!

the size of the set screw compared to the terminal looks small and since its so small compared to the amount of the wire i dont think it will get you a good enough. tight enough conection to make it worth while doing. what i see it doing is parting the wire around the set screw. yes i know most amps have set scews but look at the size of them and then look at the size of ther terminal on the amp...

lol its so hard to explain what im ttrying to say by typing it out!!

the size of the set screw compared to the terminal looks small and since its so small compared to the amount of the wire i dont think it will get you a good enough. tight enough conection to make it worth while doing. what i see it doing is parting the wire around the set screw. yes i know most amps have set scews but look at the size of them and then look at the size of ther terminal on the amp...

exactly what I was trying to say.

as long as the set screw is long enough you should be fine in the way of it actually grabbing on to the wire but if its small if will just part the wire in the terminal and end up going through the hole before it actually clamps

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Crimping for life for me... 10 seconds a join for something that will never, ever come apart and has the least possible resistance? Yes please.

If you can look at those pics of the crimp from Charger and still think soldering is better... well, I don't know what to say. The only thing soldering wins in is cosmetic appeal.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Crimping for life for me... 10 seconds a join for something that will never, ever come apart and has the least possible resistance? Yes please.

If you can look at those pics of the crimp from Charger and still think soldering is better... well, I don't know what to say. The only thing soldering wins in is cosmetic appeal.

I don't know about that one, those crimps looked pretty sexy to me :wub:

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

those hexi crimps are sexy, no doubt. i solder cuz that's what i have on hand, no pricey hand tool to do it for me instead (tho it'd be nice lol). so solder is fine for me. but really...how much added resistance are we really talking about when it comes to crimping vs solder? considering the type of solder it is. if i ever lost a noticeable amount of power due to soldering, i'd never solder again.

greatest amount of surface area contact comes from crimpin

solder is not very conductive, so solder alone i would never do

a set screw is nice but the pressure is only below the screw, not nearly 360 degrees like a crimp

nothing beats copper to copper, nothing

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived