Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Mixing and matching subwoofers.....???


bigfootescape

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey there everybody! I believe this is my first post on the forum, even though I have been a member for a little while now, and even before I was a member I'd browse the forums and member builds constantly for inspiration and ideas! I'm not sure if this is posted somewhere else, it very well may be but I am not to great with the whole search option with the forum and usualy come up with poor or unrelated topics...Anyways here is my question... I have a very small hatch/trunk area, Ford Escape, hence my user name...But currently and still since my first system I have 4 10" MTX 7500 running on 1ohm at about 1550 true rms measured watts...nothing special I know, but then again I am glad they arent Dual, Fusion or some real cheapo Sony Xplod woofers..they do me justice pretty well...But my question is can I mix and match subwoofers?? The reason I am asking is because currently I have the 4 woofers facing upward in a sealed box and I love how they sound nice and tight and crisp bass, but I was curious if I could add another mismatch woofer or two firing towards the rear..(there is only a few inches that seperate my box and my tailgate right now) just for that extra vibration and punch, and of course I'd build a new box to house them all and use a different amplifier, but what worries me is that is my cause cancellation with the different subwoofers sound waves even though it would pretty much be just rattling my tailgate and pushing that air through an inch or two of room after the woofers excursion. I have plenty money to blow, but its all tucked away in CD's and market accounts and I have invested it well, but to take it out I'd suffer major penalty if I drew some out, and I am only 20 and I am a cheap bastard lol. I would have just replaced it all and gone with 1 RE SX 15, but I know my wouldnt be able to handle the 1550rms watts like my amplifier has. I just dont have the balls to go out and blow more money on different subs and amps to to start from scratch...So can anybody help me out with my questions? or any suggestions? Thank y'all very much for taking time to read this and help me out.

Posted

What ?

You have plenty money, BUT you don't have money. ????????????

"I would have just replaced it all and gone with 1 RE SX 15, but I know my wouldnt be able to handle the 1550rms watts like my amplifier has." What that means ??????

It's not easy to understand what you're saying !

The only thing I can tell you is to not mismatch subs.

If you want more, and don't have a lot of money, maybe you could build a new box for your subs. What kind of box do you have? Sealed, ported?

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers :  Audison AP 8.9 with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a sealed box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

 

Posted

Dont mix up subs, or different brands period EVER! PERIOD! NEVER!

Dont buy cheap ass caps

use proper power wire and ground sizes

dont tape together power or ground wire

Just a few hints B)

2003 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER

AKA The Batmobile

Pioneer 6000UB

Sundown SAZ-3000D

2 Audio Q HDC3's

40' of 1/0 Gauge

2 Big Rear Batteries

A 38 HZ Box

KICK ASS!

Posted

He has a sealed box, so i would suggest building a nice ported box.

Would be a lot louder and he doesn't needs to spend a lot of money.

5cu ft box or something like that with 70-80sq inch of port area.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

U will get extra vibration and punch if u build a ported box for those subs, and it still should sound good, and U will save $$$.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

Posted

:clapping: Dont make your first post DRUNK at 2am..... :girl_devil:

Steven

P.S. Proof read your rant before you post it..... Welcome to the forum

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

Posted

^agreed with everything above

Basically, he wants us to know that he has money but he is smartly keeping it invested in accounts so he is going to touch it due to penalties...so therefore there wasn't reason for him to say this other than to make himself look cool saying he is like Drake and has "money to blow"

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Posted
^agreed with everything above

Basically, he wants us to know that he has money but he is smartly keeping it invested in accounts so he is going to touch it due to penalties...so therefore there wasn't reason for him to say this other than to make himself look cool saying he is like Drake and has "money to blow"

Wow, gosh damn it haha. No it wasn't a drunk post or anything, it was a "been up for 22 straight hours, just got done doing a bunch of homework, and wanted to get in my daily visit to the SMD forum before going to bed.. then decided to make a post"...I was just really tired and out of it, COMPLETELY SOBER and should have gone over my post for errors before posting! But yah, stupid penalties is the reason why I dont want to touch any of my money I have put away... I think I will just change my box from a sealed enclosure, to a ported enclosure. MTX recommends tuning a ported box for my subwoofers to 38hz...That seems a bit high for my liking, and even though I have 4 10" woofers and they arent the best SPL woofers, hence I think the reason MTX recommends tuning of 38hz.

IF this was in y'alls cars or if you were designing this system for someone and had to recommend a good tuning frequency, what would you suggest? Because I was thinking I wanted to tune more in the area of 33-35hz...

Suggestions anybody?

and, Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the forum!

Posted

35hz and leave some room to add an inch or two to the port if you want to go lower than that after testing it.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 895 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...