What makes a SQ sub? Your ideas....

soundman72

I've been reading a lot of threads about "what's a good SQ sub?" "What SQ subs can i get for $xx".... these questions are then usually followed by forum members mentioning MONSTROUS subs that can double for SPL subs 90% of the time, ones with HUGE power consumption or RMS ratings, etc, etc.

Now, from my "Pro Audio" point of view... all we do is SQ. lol. So the idea of subs with anything other than some type of pulp cone and a multiroll surround is different. I'm used to subs that can take crap tons of power yes; but ones that don't look near as serious as the ones forum members are listing as SQ.

My question is... where does the general public draw the line on certain portions of sub design being for SPL and those for SQ?

And where does the line between Pro Audio's version of SQ and car audio's version of SQ cross? Why does Pro 99.9999999....% of the time use paper only? Why does car audio go all kinds of ways? What SHOULD it be?

Paper cone, SQ? or both? SQ, only paper? SPL, any type of cone?

I'm looking for input from all, to form a general idea on what makes up a SQ sub...in general. Not an SQ sub that can push 120db lol. There IS a difference. Because if your "SQ" sub is hitting 120...damn....your tweets must be right along side lol, and we know that's never the case.

• 2 months later...

I've been reading a lot of threads about "what's a good SQ sub?" "What SQ subs can i get for $xx".... these questions are then usually followed by forum members mentioning MONSTROUS subs that can double for SPL subs 90% of the time, ones with HUGE power consumption or RMS ratings, etc, etc.

Now, from my "Pro Audio" point of view... all we do is SQ. lol. So the idea of subs with anything other than some type of pulp cone and a multiroll surround is different. I'm used to subs that can take crap tons of power yes; but ones that don't look near as serious as the ones forum members are listing as SQ.

My question is... where does the general public draw the line on certain portions of sub design being for SPL and those for SQ?

And where does the line between Pro Audio's version of SQ and car audio's version of SQ cross? Why does Pro 99.9999999....% of the time use paper only? Why does car audio go all kinds of ways? What SHOULD it be?

Paper cone, SQ? or both? SQ, only paper? SPL, any type of cone?

I'm looking for input from all, to form a general idea on what makes up a SQ sub...in general. Not an SQ sub that can push 120db lol. There IS a difference. Because if your "SQ" sub is hitting 120...damn....your tweets must be right along side lol, and we know that's never the case.

its always been said that paper cones sound the best. Iv always thought as well that the spiders on an SQ sub are a bit tighter, so it can "stop" faster. can anybody confirm any of those statements? i'm interested in this topic and would like to learn.

High linear excursion?

Some people could care less about who the genius is that is making the product... They just want to get it cheap and say "derrrr, look at teh pretty lights in muh dash!"

Because audio is a lifestyle not a hobby.

Things that I am allergic too....

1. Haters
  2. Bitch Notes

A few particular things.

Total Q

MMS

QMS

QTS

BL

HUMMMMMM, I didnt say anything about XMAX.. wonder why???????

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I would say most under-hung style motors usually shoot for SQ, flat BL across the board, so that whether you play 80hz 50hz or 25hz, the motor strength is about as equal all the way across the board- This is a good benefactor

Qts is also something I look for, usually a low qts, low Fs

Hard to look for a SQ woofer with a 50hz fs high qts

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

its always been said that paper cones sound the best. Iv always thought as well that the spiders on an SQ sub are a bit tighter, so it can "stop" faster. can anybody confirm any of those statements? i'm interested in this topic and would like to learn.

seal ur box 30 percent smaller than ur ported specs than u will have control.i doubt any of theses air movers i call then..(the real big motored woofers)cant do sealed because they dont have any real control just real strong to move as much as as possibele..kinda like tryin to drive a obstacle course in a garbage truck..there i said it.. :good:

JAMES SAID..

you dont need 1500 for a WOOFER people just love overpowering rather then building for the power recommended

THATS A SMART GUY...

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on your SQ target.

Are you looking for SQ that is only SQ and you'll never push any equipment to its breaking point (on purpose or by accident), or are you looking for SQ that you can push limits with if you want to?

A lot of people also forget about the 1-25hz range. If there is signal being produced in that range (ie a building falling in a movie) I want to FEEL it. Many systems cannot produce below 25hz with levels acceptable to me, especially systems that use "pro" audio components much of the time.

There are examples of parts that can however (B&C 21" subwoofer, Maelstrom 21, Pyle 21), but often times the signal output at these frequencies can be EQ'd out (intentionally or not) or trying to produce them in an average enclosure tuned for 25hz+ (at output levels acceptable to me) may result in destruction of the driver.

That said, what is often recommended for SQL is not always the best, but can perform that function fine to the average user and often will hold up to their abuse.. :P

edit - Control is a bit of a myth. Usually the effect of the smaller enclosure is loading of the face or rear of the driver cone which dampens "wobble". Soft spider and/or light cone drivers often can have this same issue and if you watch some slow motion excursion videos you often see cone flex in just about anything. Smaller enclosures (horns for example) dampen distortion (you wont hear it with a horn) but its still there.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived