What makes a SQ sub? Your ideas....

soundman72

pro audio paper coned subwoofers also usually have a much higher sensitivity than our car audio stuff. Also, our equipment is meant to run in a relatively small airspace ( a vehicle) while pro stuff is usually meant for large rooms/auditoriums/open stadiums/etc

in essence, all you need for sq is the ability to play all frequencies <80 hz evenly (flat response). All you really need at the end of the day is a cone that doesn't resonate and a frame/motor/vc/etc that doesn't flex or burn up. You can eq almost any woofer flat (at the cost of maximum spl) with the right processor, the only real necessity is a non-resonant cone. Paper is popular because its light, efficient, and non-resonant. Hit a book with a coin and listen to the noise. Now try that with an aluminum can(hell, even a thick aluminum plate). Thats why aluminum cones aren't popular for SQ subs, it resonates and creates extra harmonics we don't need. Composites (think focal's kevlar) and polypropylene with mica (think boston acoustics) have also become popular. Problem is, both are inherently less efficient than a lighter paper cone, and thus require more power. Amplifiers held constant, we all know the more power we demand, the more distortion is present.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

• 3 weeks later...

pro audio paper coned subwoofers also usually have a much higher sensitivity than our car audio stuff. Also, our equipment is meant to run in a relatively small airspace ( a vehicle) while pro stuff is usually meant for large rooms/auditoriums/open stadiums/etc

in essence, all you need for sq is the ability to play all frequencies <80 hz evenly (flat response). All you really need at the end of the day is a cone that doesn't resonate and a frame/motor/vc/etc that doesn't flex or burn up. You can eq almost any woofer flat (at the cost of maximum spl) with the right processor, the only real necessity is a non-resonant cone. Paper is popular because its light, efficient, and non-resonant. Hit a book with a coin and listen to the noise. Now try that with an aluminum can(hell, even a thick aluminum plate). Thats why aluminum cones aren't popular for SQ subs, it resonates and creates extra harmonics we don't need. Composites (think focal's kevlar) and polypropylene with mica (think boston acoustics) have also become popular. Problem is, both are inherently less efficient than a lighter paper cone, and thus require more power. Amplifiers held constant, we all know the more power we demand, the more distortion is present.

Ok, I have to hop in here... Aluminum resonates at a very high freq. Not one a sub would come close to playing. Paper is popular because paper is cheap. That is the reason for its widespread use. Poly,and composites take more money to manufacture properly.

No, any sub cant be properly eq'd to get a flat response. Flat response in car Absolutely sounds like shit! In a car or any enviroment from the listening position.

Whats makes a good sq subs? A sub with a low fs. A sub with good motor force and the ability of fast transient response. Take a 100 dollar hf sub and play some very high pace bass notes through it. It will miss notes all day long. Get a nice sub like an alumapro and play the same passage. It will keep up all day long.

Pro audio does not equal sq!

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

And not only does it needs to play all the notes flat,but it needs to play it flat without any or not much of EQ.

And that a al cone resonates isn't really true, but the sound is just weird and unnatural.

Composite cones, are popular because they sound warmer and weigh a bit more to have a low fs, thus more potential of playing lower.(doesn't always means it plays lower. ;))

More power=more distortion isn't really true, if u just use a amp that has a lot of headroom no distortion will be present. ;)

Ok, I have to hop in here... Aluminum resonates at a very high freq. Not one a sub would come close to playing. Paper is popular because paper is cheap. That is the reason for its widespread use. Poly,and composites take more money to manufacture properly.

No, any sub cant be properly eq'd to get a flat response. Flat response in car Absolutely sounds like shit! In a car or any enviroment from the listening position.

Whats makes a good sq subs? A sub with a low fs. A sub with good motor force and the ability of fast transient response. Take a 100 dollar hf sub and play some very high pace bass notes through it. It will miss notes all day long. Get a nice sub like an alumapro and play the same passage. It will keep up all day long.

Pro audio does not equal sq!

Uhm, are you really sure about the Red part?

That's not true, it depends a lot more of the enclosure it's in, and a driver will never miss a note. ;)

(I have never heared a subwoofer miss a note, and i heared bose woofers. ;))

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

And not only does it needs to play all the notes flat,but it needs to play it flat without any or not much of EQ.

And that a al cone resonates isn't really true, but the sound is just weird and unnatural.

Composite cones, are popular because they sound warmer and weigh a bit more to have a low fs, thus more potential of playing lower.(doesn't always means it plays lower. ;))

More power=more distortion isn't really true, if u just use a amp that has a lot of headroom no distortion will be present. ;)

Uhm, are you really sure about the Red part?

That's not true, it depends a lot more of the enclosure it's in, and a driver will never miss a note. ;)

(I have never heared a subwoofer miss a note, and i heared bose woofers. ;))

Of course you have never heard a sub miss notes! You have never heard a good sub..ha! If you have never heard a real reference system. You wouldnt notice. The two best sounding car subs that I have heard are the alumapro alchemy and the crystal cmpx2 12" underhung vc with 26mm linear each way. Even vance wrote a review on this sub. I like the Bose comments. But hey it is really good how they roll off highs and lows. People cant really find the speakers objectionable. They cant hear the music recorded. It genious, Most music is recorded like shit these day. Go Bose! No highs,no lows. Must be bose!

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

lolerskates

not one SQ sub has xbl'2

no the XXX is NOT a SQ sub

guess you could count that piece of shit china made Mag v4

Yes there is. The Maelstrom, already said. And also Stereo Integrity has there bkmIII shallow mount sq driver that uses xbl^2.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Yes there is. The Maelstrom, already said. And also Stereo Integrity has there bkmIII shallow mount sq driver that uses xbl^2.

dont agree

BM shallow as a sq driver would get walked on by my non xbl2 driver. low end extension isnt even close in any environment

maelstrom i can throw any other xbl2 in the same environment as the maelstrom and it will sound the same.

xbl2 as a whole imo is vastly overrated

hell id put even an IDq against either of those selections

Of course you have never heard a sub miss notes! You have never heard a good sub..ha! If you have never heard a real reference system. You wouldnt notice. The two best sounding car subs that I have heard are the alumapro alchemy and the crystal cmpx2 12" underhung vc with 26mm linear each way. Even vance wrote a review on this sub. I like the Bose comments. But hey it is really good how they roll off highs and lows. People cant really find the speakers objectionable. They cant hear the music recorded. It genious, Most music is recorded like shit these day. Go Bose! No highs,no lows. Must be bose!

RED:I hope u were kidding. ;) (no need to make it personal.)

I have heared quite a few speakers and my tline sounds great, better then 99.9% of the speakers/subwoofers/woofers i have heared. ;) (and i have heared over hundreds of speaker/subwoofers, i also heared some infinite baffle setups. ;))

Im not only talking about Car audio, also about home audio. ;)

BLue: totally true.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I dislike the aluminum resonating theory, its bulloks.

Yes you can make an aluminum cone resonate but you can also stiffen it. Paper cones will resonate as well if they are strong enough (which they should be to keep from shredding at high excursion) otherwise if they're weak they'll flex and may as well say bose on them somewhere in that case.

Even a "weak" cone like what you find in PA equipment can and will resonate, as well as the enclosure in the end, and the room/vehicle.

Point is that someone who says one thing is inferior to another without structural analysis of why is just a hater.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived