What Volume Headunits Clip At

It's weird, but when I set my gains via the DMM method with an Alpine 149 the voltage was higher than exptected. At 35/35 volume, gain all the way down on the PDX V9 amp, with all filters off/down on the headunit I was getting more than 100rms. The voltage that suggests 100rms is 20v, but when I had the gain all the way down it was in the mid 20's. I figured it's clipping at 35 volume, so I just went with the 80% route by setting the volume to 28/35 and setting the gains accordingly to 18v (80rms) :\

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Double Din Kenwood DDX470

Using a DD-1 with the 1kh and 40 hz tones from the DD-1 cd this head unit is clean at max volume.

BUT after I hooked it into my Rockford 3sixty.3 (which ups the pre-amp volts to 8 volts) the max undistorted volume is 29.

Thought I already posted here but guess bit since this isn't a thread i'm following.

80 prs dd1 full tilt with loudness in no clipping. Don't use loudness personally but forgot to turn it off when it was put on the dd1.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

• 4 weeks later...

i used an oscilloscope on my Kenwood KDC-MP238 yesterday, all flat settings, and it is clip-free at volume 34 out of 35 using 400hz, 1000hz, and 50hz.

i think we should have a thread where we have a bunch of headunits and info on when each one clips with what settings for future reference to other members.

Kranny you really do RULE! Dude this was a amazing idea as long as people are giving correct information and not pulling numbers out there ass. Thanks, now I just have to search the thread and see if my HU ever pops up. lol . :good:

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Your best bet is to buy a DD-1 or an oscilloscope that has a high resolution screen so you can accurately see the wave form and its not pixelated.
With many of Pioneer decks they have to many different volume control adjustments such as SLA adjustments on top of the normal subwoofer volume, and I also think there are voltage adjustments that can be made to each rca preout.

For that matter that can be said about any nicer head units with a lot of features.
So what maybe good for one person maybe way bad for another because the only settings you are going by is the main volume setting and none of the others.

Your best bet is to buy a DD-1 or an oscilloscope that has a high resolution screen so you can accurately see the wave form and its not pixelated.

With many of Pioneer decks they have to many different volume control adjustments such as SLA adjustments on top of the normal subwoofer volume, and I also think there are voltage adjustments that can be made to each rca preout.

For that matter that can be said about any nicer head units with a lot of features.

So what maybe good for one person maybe way bad for another because the only settings you are going by is the main volume setting and none of the others.

Yah, i was just hoping to get good news before i check mine. Wouldve been cool to see other people saying it doesnt clip at max volume. But i will be getting atleast the DD-1+ Soon to tune my equipment when i get to install it. not sure if id even be able to learn how to use the AMM-1 or IM-SG, but if i find a need for it ill definatly be pickin those up too.

My Pioneer PH8000T (I think) is clean all the way to volume level 62 (max) with 1000hz 0db. It clips at volume level 59 with 40hz 0db. So 58 is what I consider the max clean volume level. This is using a DD-1 and Signal Generator by mediapunkstudios.com app on the iPod in my glovebox. I only listen to iPod USB with this system. It has close to 4000 high quality songs on it.

Uncle G

Archived