Sonic Electronix

i have a couple amps that are blown and i kinda have the motivation to attempt to fix them myself, i do not expect them to work but there just laying around so i might as well try and fix them as they arnt worth any value to send them somewhere. basically just need some confirmation on ordering the parts for them

first amp

Cliff designs CD400A, was driving around one time, and amp just cut out and smoked no clue why as it worked for a couple weeks before.

heres some pics everything on the board appears to be fine, just burnt on one of the mosfets? i think thats what their called. on it it says -

IRFZ44N

IOR221K (the 0 has a arrow mark in it. if that means anything)

4J 5M

3127qm9.jpg

2d9crco.jpg

2pov4oj.jpg

other amp is a older rockford punch 500a2, this one had the power and ground switched during install and blew, nothing on the board is burnt but 3 of the mosfets have chunks of plastic missing

they are 2 damaged ones on the ground side and 1 broken on the power side there are 2 per side and then going to the other side of the board the part number changes.

MT P7

5N05HD

"m" symbol 841

10scchz.jpg

257d7o9.jpg

sorry for the pics they are taken with my blackberry, again have some motivation to try and fix these, im sure they could be, can i just order the burnt mosfets off http://ca.mouser.com/ and swap them out and hope for the best?

2005 pontiac g6

alpine 9887

mach 5 mli-65 mids w/ seas neo tweets

mb quart dsc 4125/dsc 280

2 12" mach 5 audio spls

sound digital 8k

c&d batts/red top

2 runs pos/neg in 1/0

dc power 270a sp alt

knu wiring/rcas

I've never tried this before but I know circuit board soldering is challenging. Too much solder on one connection can mess it all up if it bridges with another connection. But good luck man. Hopefully it works out for you and keep us updated.

Oh and as long as part numbers are the same your prolly fine for a straight swap

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

You cant really hurt anything since they are already not working so I would say go for it and see what happens. Just make sure to use thermal paste on those. The thermal paste helps dissipate the heat from the component. You could probably get some from Mouser as well. They carry all kinds of stuff. Good luck and let us know what happens.

You cant really hurt anything since they are already not working so I would say go for it and see what happens.

At the most he will end up messing the amps up bad enough that a pro wont even be able to fix them.

The Cliff Design amp is worthless, might as well just scrap the heatsink out with your aluminum cans when you cash them in. LOL

The RF 500a2 is somewhat decent, but outdated but still clean sounding amps that do rated. Would power a nice set of components for a front stage.

Id probably look into a pro fixing it.

You wont get far not knowing what your doing. You will need a nice digital multimeter, and a o-scope.

There is more wrong then burned mosfets, burned mosfets are the outcome of something else generally blowing up, and sending a huge current load thru the mosfet til they overheat and go pop.

Im sure there are gate resistors that are blown (in both amps) and probably lots of tiny other chips (that may appear to look 100% fine) but they wont be.

Take the part numbers off the burnt parts and order them from Mouser. You will need a solder sucker and a solding pin. I fix electronic stuff every now and then and it's not that hard if you take your time. Once you pull the board off look for discolored spots on the casing, if you see one there will probably be a burnt part in that location on the board. Good luck with the repair and if it goes bad atleast you'll be learning something and you might do better the next time. Oh and get lead free solder that s#!t with lead in it will make your sperm stupid!

06 Monte Carlo

Motorola T605

Alpine CDA 9886

Polk mids and highs

Yellow top

2 XS Power D975

Knukoncepts 0 gauge

1 DC Audio 3.5K

1 DC LVL 4XL 15" Thorshammer package

Archived