Sundown Audio

Audioque 20k amp

hdorre

Yeah I guess I saw that post. I know I remember reading about a lot of problems with SD and Stetsom amps, but obviously you can't always believe what you read. It'll be interesting to see some long term reliability comments from the people who have the AQ20.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

Regardless any "REAL" competitor wont have any problems with these or any other amp for that matter. 90% of users think big amps make you loud. Everytime I hear someone say im doing XXX dbs but my voltage drops to 9 volts or below is asking for trouble. Granted they may be loud but dont expect the amp to hold up forever. These comments just show they arent taking the right steps to prolong there equipment, also meaning this isnt the amp for them. Companys dont warranty amps ran below there rated loads and wont cover amps you bought used from someone else. You might pass one off and get it fixed but keep blowing amps up and see how long they fix them. Most hardcore users KNOW what it takes to run a big amp. Electrical upgrades are usually there first purchase. I see alot of the bitching coming for someone who dont have the funds to power this or any big amp or the knowledge. Im not looking to a bunch of people all but hurt, but if what I said is true or fits suck it up and learn from it. :drinks:

It seems that maybe the biggest problem with the amp is the name and the warranty. Probably a mistake to call it a 20k amp, which is basically the max it can make at 18v at a high THD. I wonder if it was called the 12k or anything other than the wattage people would be acting a bit different. The warranty is obviously a sore spot for a lot of people. Not much can be said about it, though. It is what it is.

On AQs website he actually has it rated at 8k at 12.5v so the fact that it does over that at 2 ohms and about 13 volts is OK. Before the amp came out he said it was expected to do around 14k at 14v at 1 ohm. Someone with a strong electrical setup needs to wire it lower and try to get a clamp at 1 ohm and >12 volts.

And the first clamp they did might not have been done well. They said that the guy who owned the car didn't have his HU settings set correctly. Something about his bass level and volume not being as high as they needed (he had it set up like he was sweeping for a peak).

Honestly, I just want to see Pioneer Saturn's set up with the 20k and the 8 10's in the horn. Looks like it is going to be pretty wicked.

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

RF T15K= 15,000W RMS

AP3000.1= 3,000 RMS

Kicker 2500.1= 2500 RMS

AQ20= ..8K RMS :nea:

It does a lot more than that. He just rated it there for some reason.

Like I said, it's weird that he called it the AQ20, beings all of AQ's other amps are named by the RMS wattage @ 14.4 volts. Maybe he was just trying to appeal to competitors or something. :shrug:

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

Archived