Sonic Electronix

Hello, long time browser of the forums but first time signing up. I have a new amp and I will be replacing the top face plate with plexi-glass so I can mount one or two 30-50mm pc fans to keep it cool during the upcoming summer months. On my last amp I powered the fan from the remote wire but I'm not even sure how much volts it was outputting. All the pc fans are 12v. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows of a general 12v power source I can tap into on the amp that will only supply power to the fan when the amp is on, i.e. the 12v power cord from the battery wouldn't work because it would constantly be on. Thanks.

A switch maybe so when you turn on the amp you can flip the switch and the fans come on.

Yeah but if I were to go through that much trouble couldn't I just do it like I did before and power the positive of the fan with the remote wire? Does anyone know offhand what voltage comes from the remote wire or if I should even be powering it off of that?

Remote wire doesn't even put out an amp of current, just a few hundred milliamps. Wiring it that way will put severe strain on the deck.

Don't be stupid and wire it right. Switch going to the battery and fans (fuse it of course)

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Hello, long time browser of the forums but first time signing up. I have a new amp and I will be replacing the top face plate with plexi-glass so I can mount one or two 30-50mm pc fans to keep it cool during the upcoming summer months. On my last amp I powered the fan from the remote wire but I'm not even sure how much volts it was outputting. All the pc fans are 12v. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows of a general 12v power source I can tap into on the amp that will only supply power to the fan when the amp is on, i.e. the 12v power cord from the battery wouldn't work because it would constantly be on. Thanks.

Here ya go. This link will help explain how to set up a relay with you system.

They said it all. A relay is your best bet. In fact, you could use a relay where the hot wire is from a constant source, the switched wire is the head unit remote, and the output goes to the amp.

This would save you from having to run extra wires to the back and also allow you to run the fan off your remote wire at the amp without worrying about current draw since it's minimal anyways.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/