Stump me and win a prize

My neighbor has a 1987 grand wagoneer. His rear window was rolled down, then stopped working (power window). He removed the panel to access it but the glass was blocking the bolts that allow you to remove the window entirely.

We looked things up online and found that there are retaining clips that hold the window on track, I popped those off, but the window is still stuck in place. It wiggles forward/backward, but will not roll up enough for me to fix the wiring issue that is preventing it from raising. Any idea of how to get the window out without cutting the door apart?

The haynes manual says "raise window to remove bolts" lol, if only it was that simple.

SOURCE 1:

Many other tailgate window systems employ a "safety switch" that must be closed in order for power to reach the window switch / motor. Often times the only thing wrong is a worn-out safety switch. By temporarily jumping the safety, you can use the vehicle tailgate window switch to move the window.

Most other tailgate mechanisms of this vintage locate the window motor wiring in such a way that you can reach the motor connector even with the glass down. Assuming the motor is still working, apply power from a 12V battery to the motor leads and move the window up or down by switching the leads.

If the window motor has failed in the down position, some vehicle tailgate mechanisms require that you use a 3/4" hole saw to make access openings in the tailgate to reach the fasteners that hold the glass to the window mechanism. I don't know if that applies to your situation, but it is a technique that works well on other systems.

SOURCE 2:

I would try to jump the Motor First using jump wires from battery directly to window motor. If it works then you will be able to move window up and down to do your repair.

I would strongly suggest attaching the glass back to the regulator clips ASAP Before it comes off track causing more headaches for you.

If you find the motor will not work at all:

The answer is in the picture you sent me. Bottom left where the motor sits is three 3/8 I think? spray with WD40 and Remove Motor and then the regulator is free to let you manually lift glass and life will get easy from there.

SOURCE 3:

If you got the clips off, you need to push the arms out of the window lifter and the window will slide out no problem.

Before you go through all of that trouble, there is a safety switch on the driver side of the tailgate on the inside. Pull it out, you will see 2 brown wires connected to it. Take those wires and connect them together, this will bypass your safety switch. These do go out and if this is the issue, you don't have to do anything...except put the clips back on the lifter (which sucks to do).

ME:

Let me know if this does the trick.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

SOURCE 1:

Many other tailgate window systems employ a "safety switch" that must be closed in order for power to reach the window switch / motor. Often times the only thing wrong is a worn-out safety switch. By temporarily jumping the safety, you can use the vehicle tailgate window switch to move the window.

Most other tailgate mechanisms of this vintage locate the window motor wiring in such a way that you can reach the motor connector even with the glass down. Assuming the motor is still working, apply power from a 12V battery to the motor leads and move the window up or down by switching the leads.

If the window motor has failed in the down position, some vehicle tailgate mechanisms require that you use a 3/4" hole saw to make access openings in the tailgate to reach the fasteners that hold the glass to the window mechanism. I don't know if that applies to your situation, but it is a technique that works well on other systems.

SOURCE 2:

I would try to jump the Motor First using jump wires from battery directly to window motor. If it works then you will be able to move window up and down to do your repair.

I would strongly suggest attaching the glass back to the regulator clips ASAP Before it comes off track causing more headaches for you.

If you find the motor will not work at all:

The answer is in the picture you sent me. Bottom left where the motor sits is three 3/8 I think? spray with WD40 and Remove Motor and then the regulator is free to let you manually lift glass and life will get easy from there.

SOURCE 3:

If you got the clips off, you need to push the arms out of the window lifter and the window will slide out no problem.

Before you go through all of that trouble, there is a safety switch on the driver side of the tailgate on the inside. Pull it out, you will see 2 brown wires connected to it. Take those wires and connect them together, this will bypass your safety switch. These do go out and if this is the issue, you don't have to do anything...except put the clips back on the lifter (which sucks to do).

ME:

Let me know if this does the trick.

Great response. The switch was broken before and the previous owner hard wired the two brown wires in an inaccessible location. The bolts from the arms were caught on the lower portion of the glass. We removed two metal pieces that keep the window from going too low, push the window down then up and it came right out. We checked the motor with a 12v drill battery and it's working, but there is something wrong with his switches- though it worked for 1/2 second once then stopped.

Thanks for the response, guess no gear for me- but I can at least reach things in his vehicle now! :drinks:

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

This is a music theory question in regards to key signatures:

How many sharps (#) are there in the key of E Major/b minor?

There are 4 sharps in E Major: F#, C#, G#, D#.

There are 2 sharps in B Minor: F#, C#

So technically, there are four total since they have common sharps.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Billiards question: What is the term used for the spin on the cue ball

http://www.youtube.c...er/SmallTownSPL

2002 Chevy Blazer

Substage: Shhh, its a secret ;)

Mids and Highs: Stock-Going to change soon

Amp:MTX 92001

Wire:1/0 Welding cable

Electrical:Stock

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

I hope she was meaning that to you. Any who.... You dont say you wanna have dinner in the first damn post. talk to her first. I say find out if the status was torwards you..

Here try this...

"Hey hows it going :)( notice smiley face makes everything better ) I saw your status. "You are far from usual".... So is my dick... Wanna Fuck tommorow???"

Or send her message saying "hey" she replies back "hey" when this happens reply Wanna fuck (INSERT ADDRESS HERE)

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Very nice....i like this. I also have a couple of good questions when you get some time! :popcorn:

Xterra * 69 Camaro * Audi S5

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

looking for wire sponsor :) 

www.flyracing.com

who was the first president of the united states to serve a full term? :santa:

you jerk you took my question lol

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

Archived