Sundown Audio

Audio Pipe WTF

thx1138

So I just got my AudioPipe AP-4001D in the mail. I was pretty excited after waiting over a week for it to come in so I can finally test my new sub that I got two weeks ago. Well I already installed my 4g wiring kit a long time ago because I was running a sub and amp about a year ago and then sold them. I picked a new ground spot in my cabin, it is a bolt that holds down the seat back. Its a body panel which is connected to the chassis and I sanded all the paint off before I connected the ground wire. So here I am installing the amp and I always plug everything in before I hook up the 12v positive. So I already had the ground hooked up to the amp. I plug in the positive and it gave me a little shock, nothing to worry about I though. Once I touched it with a screw driver to tighten it down thats when it really sparked and I know I didnt touch the body of the amp with the screw driver.

So, I called audiopipe's customer service line. No waiting time to talk to someone for tech help, not bad... right? Wrong. The guy was a moron I told him I tested the grounding spot with a mutlimeter and I had to explain it to him like 3 times. Shouldn't he know how a multimeter works? So then he tells me to try plugging in the positive first and then the ground that's when I asked if that would cause any damage since its not grounded and he said the worse it would do is fry some fuses up front. I'm like seriously.... I don't have every spare fuse I need just laying around if that happens...

Anyway I try it out, I hook up the positive to the amp first and all of a sudden at the opposite end the positive is hooked up to it barely touches some metal to the body of the amp and gives up a nice spark and now theres a burnt mark at the end of the amp.

I don't know what to do, I'm getting pissed off. Need a breather.

Edited by thx1138

you are connecting power, it will always spark man... you could have taken the fuse out before hooking it up though, so there wasnt any power running through the wire, but you would get that spark when you put your fuse in either way though

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

First things first, shouldn't be any power on AT ALL- NO fuses inline to the amp while your installing it

Deck shouldn't be on, keys in your pockets

So it sounds like, from how you worded everything you are the one not installing it right

Also, the seat belt bolt seems like it would be a good spot to install a good ground connection, but there is usually thread sealer on the bolt, causing a loss of current to go through

So, I would clean that bolt up really good too, if your not looking to find a new clean spot for the ground bolt

Best is actually to run ground, with positive from up front

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

^^ Agreed, you should never have power flowing through the wires when putting your amp in. Always either take the negative terminal off the battery or pull the fuse out of the positive line. Remember warranties cover everything but user error.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Agreed with the rest, Should never have any power running through the wires while you are hooking them up. Also there will always be a spark when the final power is connected...I've used a lot of AP amps and delt with there customer service, never had a problem with them. Take a minute man and relax, give it another try...... :good:

Xterra * 69 Camaro * Audi S5

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

looking for wire sponsor :) 

www.flyracing.com

Always disconnect your battery ground before connecting any electronics. Also, ground off first and on last. You said you put the ground on first AND you had power going across the line? There's your problem....That's how i fried the channels on my amp in the past, cost me 65$ to get it fixed.

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

like all the others said dis connect the power wire that your using from the battery

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

plug in the positive and it gave me a little shock, nothing to worry about I though. Once I touched it with a screw driver to tighten it down thats when it really sparked and I know I didnt touch the body of the amp with the screw driver.

Alright, dude, heres what happend.

If the amp won't turn, on you blew it up.

Shorting positive to the amp case is a 100% Guarnteed way to blow that amp, my buddy did it with his 1500's, twice.

Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS unhook battery cables before working on the audio equipment.

See if the online place you bought it from will warranty it.

If it isn't blown, kill all live power, screw the wiring into the amp, go upfront and reconnect your battery cable and enjoy your bumpage.