got a question for you guys. last weekend I replaced my front brakes (pads and rotors.....and a stud that snapped off while trying to do it :trippy:). but now Ive had them on for a week, and they smell like burning after going to and from work. first I thought it was just the brake cleaner burning off. but its been around for a week now. I tried searching but all I can find is either my caliper is frozen open, or I was heavily braking. I do live in Mass now, so yes Im heavily braking :werd_msword: but for a week? anyone have any other ideas? I was able to move the calipers to do the brake job. and its definitely coming from the front brakes.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

got a question for you guys. last weekend I replaced my front brakes (pads and rotors.....and a stud that snapped off while trying to do it :trippy:). but now Ive had them on for a week, and they smell like burning after going to and from work. first I thought it was just the brake cleaner burning off. but its been around for a week now. I tried searching but all I can find is either my caliper is frozen open, or I was heavily braking. I do live in Mass now, so yes Im heavily braking :werd_msword: but for a week? anyone have any other ideas? I was able to move the calipers to do the brake job. and its definitely coming from the front brakes.

off topic:

Where in Mass? Just so I can drive like an extra asshole? :lol:

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

If you breaker heavily you could have glazed your pads meaning no good anymore that's what my stepdad and the my mechanic told me that would happen if I braked heavily right after having them put on

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1

You check the slider pins to make sure they're not seized up? I just had this issue and overlooked it and eventually it snapped my rotor in half. I drove it a day or two and kept smelling brake but couldn't figure out why and when i would touch my rim it was really hot to even try and touch. Could be a few different things so I'd go back over it. By the way who did the brake job (you or a shop)? Just be cautious because you don't want to snap a rotor ha, that adds a tow bill onto your repair.

And what stud broke?

Did you bleed them? Get any grease or oil on the pads/rotors?

I didnt get a chance to bleed them, but I did spray them with cleaner every time they were looked at differently. haha

off topic:

Where in Mass? Just so I can drive like an extra asshole? :lol:

I moved up to lowell man, and im workin in ayer

Is it coming from one side?

not sure, I havent check both sides yet, just the drivers side

hows the wear on the old pads? even on both sides inner and outter pad?

the wear was not perfect but not too significant. the outer pad was almost down to the metal, while the inner pad was maybe a 1/16" more drivers side. then passenger side there was more there but pretty much even wear.

If you breaker heavily you could have glazed your pads meaning no good anymore that's what my stepdad and the my mechanic told me that would happen if I braked heavily right after having them put on

I was afraid of that, but I didnt really start brake heavily till I got back up here. had a good couple days for them to break in before I came back up.

You check the slider pins to make sure they're not seized up? I just had this issue and overlooked it and eventually it snapped my rotor in half. I drove it a day or two and kept smelling brake but couldn't figure out why and when i would touch my rim it was really hot to even try and touch. Could be a few different things so I'd go back over it. By the way who did the brake job (you or a shop)? Just be cautious because you don't want to snap a rotor ha, that adds a tow bill onto your repair.

And what stud broke?

not sure what you mean by slider pins....if you mean the caliper bolts, then they are significantly different then the regular import bolts. mine are short and only about an 1 1/4" long (threaded). not long like the usual ones.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

There should be some pins or something that the caliper slides on during braking, if you didn't slide them they will hang up and give you that smell, glaze your pads, and eventually trash your rotors, don't ask me how I know. I would pop 'em off again and recheck.

Too many projects, too little time...