iPad in car...need help keeping it cool

Like i said, techforce knows his shit.

there's something that is put in computers to keep them cool, its like a tube filled with some cold gel shit that circulates and keeps things cool.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

I've seen people running air conditoning lines on back to their amps, maybe something similar except in behind your ipad? Just a thought, good luck to ya :drinks:

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

I have the IPAD mounted in this Hummer H2. I have had it parked outside all day on multiple 100+ sunny days and have had no issues at all.

The Hummer has very dark tint all around except the windshield.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

there's something that is put in computers to keep them cool, its like a tube filled with some cold gel shit that circulates and keeps things cool.

....You think he can use liquid cooling on a ipad? ipad doesn't use the same type of hardware that a pc uses. And you really think it would be running while his car is off or something.

If you don't wanna do fans, then tint the car. that's all you can do tbh

I've seen people running air conditoning lines on back to their amps, maybe something similar except in behind your ipad? Just a thought, good luck to ya :drinks:

He keeps saying he won't do fans ..which is essentially the same thing because he wants the ipad to not be hot once he starts his car. That would not prevent it from being too hot to use nor would fans...so IDK man

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

Ive built quite a few water cooled computers if thats what your talking about (part water/part antifreeze). That works by attaching to each component in the computer individually, I don't know how well that would work with the iPad and I need it to work while the car is off...

Ya but the problem is its getting hot while the car is off

I have the IPAD mounted in this Hummer H2. I have had it parked outside all day on multiple 100+ sunny days and have had no issues at all.

The Hummer has very dark tint all around except the windshield.

Yea I bet if I had tint it would be less of an issue but im keeping it fish bowl.

If you don't tiny the car or use some type of heat reduction material(look into secondskins thermal shit), then there's nothing you can do. I know what you're looking for..someone to tell you that you can mod the ipad to make it not get hot? Best you could do is open the ipad and replace the thermal material on the processor..

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

1) bad ass setup

2) fans!!! It doesn't matter that they're blowing hot air. Moving air is better then hot air just sitting there.

3) Try to make a few small vents or holes around the dash trim to actually let air circulate inside the dash. This will also let the fans circulate cooler air from the cabin.

4) drill two holes inside your vents straight down. This should help get ice cold air behind the iPad while the car is on and keeping it cooler when shutting the car off for short periods of time. If it's ice cold and you get out the car for a half hour it shouldn't have gotten too hot in that amount of time

5) tint - just do some 35%. It will still be plenty transparent but keep some of the heat out

6) those windshield visor/ covers are amazing and keep out a ton of heat

As for the fans. Any 12v computer fans with minimal current draw. Maybe two 6" fans blowing straight on the back of it. They shouldn't draw too much power and should be fine running for a few hours with the car off. Inside your dash is usually 10-20degrees hotter then the cabin of the car. There's just a lot less air circulating in there so anything will make a difference.

Good luck!

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Asking to get robbed eh? Why not just remove that setup and redo it - then add some sort of cover or pull down mechanisim to go in front of the ipod. That way, you 1. keep it protected from the sun, and 2. protect from thieves.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

If you don't tiny the car or use some type of heat reduction material(look into secondskins thermal shit), then there's nothing you can do. I know what you're looking for..someone to tell you that you can mod the ipad to make it not get hot? Best you could do is open the ipad and replace the thermal material on the processor..

No im not looking to mod the iPad whatsoever. I'm looking for other ways to keep it cool. There's no need to be close minded and just say that there is nothing you can do besides two things.

An idea a co-worker just gave me is to mod a 12v portable mini fridge/freezer and mount it behind the iPad and hook it up to the accessory on the alarm and before I got out to the car turn the freezer on and it will be mounted right behind the iPad to get it cool.

1) bad ass setup

2) fans!!! It doesn't matter that they're blowing hot air. Moving air is better then hot air just sitting there.

3) Try to make a few small vents or holes around the dash trim to actually let air circulate inside the dash. This will also let the fans circulate cooler air from the cabin.

4) drill two holes inside your vents straight down. This should help get ice cold air behind the iPad while the car is on and keeping it cooler when shutting the car off for short periods of time. If it's ice cold and you get out the car for a half hour it shouldn't have gotten too hot in that amount of time

5) tint - just do some 35%. It will still be plenty transparent but keep some of the heat out

6) those windshield visor/ covers are amazing and keep out a ton of heat

As for the fans. Any 12v computer fans with minimal current draw. Maybe two 6" fans blowing straight on the back of it. They shouldn't draw too much power and should be fine running for a few hours with the car off. Inside your dash is usually 10-20degrees hotter then the cabin of the car. There's just a lot less air circulating in there so anything will make a difference.

Good luck!

Thanks I appreciate it!. The only time I get the message is after a looooong time of leaving it in the sun, so 30min-1hr isnt a issue. I have already driled holes in those two vents above the iPad so it does get a little air from those but nothing when the car is off. I might do air blu tint (clear tint that supposedly reduces heat up to 50%) but any sort of black tint im not doing. Thanks for your help.

Asking to get robbed eh? Why not just remove that setup and redo it - then add some sort of cover or pull down mechanisim to go in front of the ipod. That way, you 1. keep it protected from the sun, and 2. protect from thieves.

This is a show car not ever really parked anywhere to get robbed and its simuliar to any other headunit, just because its a iPad doesn't mean its any harder or any less harder to get stolen then another screen/double din. If all other ideas fail I think thats what I will do is make a cover for the face of it and try that out.

That would be pointless and probably have a big current draw. = dead battery. With what Alex just said too though. If you could make some sort of a cover for it to take the actual direct sunlight off the screen that would help drastically since the glass of the screen is what gets so hot.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Archived