16v good or bad

I'm thinking of adding another alt just for my system for my rebuild and was wondering what would be better/safer for the amp a 12 H.O. or a 16 H.O.

16volt bad for daily good for comp . Juststick with 12 volt and mla its does tha job =@

I don't think you understand the concept of running two completely isolated electrical systems. The chassis and frame of your car are electrically charged at 12 volts because the negative post of your battery is connected to it. If you were to try to connect the 16 volt alternator to the chassis, it would be charging at 16 volts instead of 12 and you would fry the components for your car.

By an isolated 16 volt system it means you need to run your 16 volt alternator's power and ground to the 16 volt batteries ONLY and run your amps off those 16 volt batteries ONLY. Can't ground alternator to car, can't ground amp to car. Everything needs to be separated from the existing 12 volt charging system.

Wat.

Please explain, I don't think you know what you're talking about. :ehh::peepwall:

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I don't think you understand the concept of running two completely isolated electrical systems. The chassis and frame of your car are electrically charged at 12 volts because the negative post of your battery is connected to it. If you were to try to connect the 16 volt alternator to the chassis, it would be charging at 16 volts instead of 12 and you would fry the components for your car.

By an isolated 16 volt system it means you need to run your 16 volt alternator's power and ground to the 16 volt batteries ONLY and run your amps off those 16 volt batteries ONLY. Can't ground alternator to car, can't ground amp to car. Everything needs to be separated from the existing 12 volt charging system.

If thats true then how can kinetik 16 volt batteries share a common ground for both the 16volt post and 12 volt post on them?

The black is your ground terminal, the yellow is the 12volt terminal, and the red is the 16volt terminal...

Notice that if what you said was true, there would have to be 4 terminals on this battery, but theres only 3 because the 12volt and 16 volt share the same ground....

hc16v.jpg

If you have to ask, then don't do it. 16v is no joke

Dodge Magnum with custom 300c front end, laid out on air bags

*4) 12" Cadence Daytona walled

*1) AudioQue 20k

*270a DC Power Alt (Dual coming soon)

Do you understand what it means to run a 16 volt system? It doesn't just mean grab a 16 volt alternator. It means that you need to have a completely different charging system for your amps only. You would need a 16 volt alternator with 16 volt batteries, and these need to be isolated from the rest of the car's electrical system unless you convert EVERYTHING to 16 volts and then use a step down module for your car's electrical.

So unless you plan on picking up a couple 16 volt batteries, a bunch of 1/0 wire to run everything contained within itself, and a 16 volt alternator, get a regular 12 volt alternator that will put out the amperage you want.

Nother question to this theme, would it be possible to do a 24 volt sytem like trucks have it as standart?

In case of "moa powa".

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

Nother question to this theme, would it be possible to do a 24 volt sytem like trucks have it as standart?

In case of "moa powa".

Ya it would be possible but i dont think any amps can handle 24v.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

To some of the statements above, just having grounds connected together to the chassis does not complete any circuit.

Modern cars have varying voltages all connected to a common ground throughout the car anyway, it's called multiplexing.

And to the OP, for what you are running, and the power levels you intend to use, just stay with 12v. You can get 3000w, 5000w, 6000w, 10,000w, even 16,000w amps that operate on 12v. So no need to go to 16v to try and squeeze every bit of power out of an amp you havent chosen yet.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion