Second Skin Audio

Need Help on what 10" subs to get and amps

JORDEN_23

For my first system I went to an audio shop. I wanted to hear different speakers and I wanted to know the basics. The shop owner even gave me a demo of his car.

I loved his Polk mm6500 speakers so I researched. Couldn't find a bad review. So I bought them because A)They fit in my factory location B)They were priced well C)They took alot of power (the more power I could give, the louder they would go and I wouldn't need extra speakers)

You say you want two 10" subs? That's a good choice for either car, the box will definitely fit. I pick subs based on power handling. For you I would buy subs based on what amp you get. If you get a 1-ohm 1000RMS amp then you can get two 10's at 500RMS a piece.

You will most likely amp your door speakers. I bought a Rockford Fosgate T500.1 for my sub (Perfect match), and a Rockford Fosgate T600.1 for my door speakers (Too much power but I was thinking of a rebuilt already) The audio shop sold these and Steve ran them, so they must have been good.

My headunit I also got from the shop. I wanted USB and AUX in the front and RCA's to run the amps.

All the wiring is on a need to buy basis. Worry about that later. (Don't buy a 4AWG wiring kit when you will need 0AWG)

You have to start somewhere so start here. You system will sound awesome to you. Then later you will want more and that is how you will find yourself learning how to upgrade. You knowledge is based on a need to rebuild basis. You need a point of reference.

Good advice. I tried making him a list to get him started but you see what it turned into.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

meh james is one of the few people on this forum that I actually trust when he says things. he has used a ton of stuff and doesn't talk out of his ass like most people do.

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

I know exactly what Hertz is but not because they make great subs thats for sure. Their comps are great no doubt about it but I am not worried about getting my feelings hurt by someone with Hertz subs.

Exactly! Hertz should just stick to there comps, and ditch the subs. The subs aren't anything to brag about

meh james is one of the few people on this forum that I actually trust when he says things. he has used a ton of stuff and doesn't talk out of his ass like most people do.

I agree, the guy has like 20,000 posts and his car is full of awesome products, not trying to argue his knowledge I just recommended the OP not buy W7's! I have a feeling he had his mind set on them the whole time though.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

And for my rebuild I was stuck for months on deciding whether I should get the 15 RE XXX, JL 13.5 W7, or the 15 Fi Q. It took a while to get to these three choices. Eventually I looked at the specs and factored in my car. At the time I only had one battery and stock alternator. So that ruled out the RE XXX. Then The 3 ohm impedance of the JL. That just seemed confusing at the time and just seemed like I would have to pay too much for an amp to put out 1200 RMS at 3 ohm. Process of elimination produced the Fi Q. The Q is loud, just like the other three subs, and sounds just as good (Atleast to me), and it was the cheapest! Which means better quality amp :)

Google it

profile page is a Havoc 12 i used to run

as far as not liking hertz subs thats fine, i just have had every one of these internet subs everyone here loves so passionately and know my milles sound tons better.

Theres maybe 5 people on this board i would listen to when they say a woofer isnt worth the money, and honestly none of them have posted here. most of these people talking out the side of thier mouth have 2nd hand experienced woofers. all day everyday i see people with good equipment with horrible results.

Hell a board member here came to me had great equipment decent electrical and a horrible box

i changed his box for him he fixed some electrical issues (all wiring related) and his results are a broader range as well as increase in sound at 11hz lower of a frequency.

People since the beginning of forums like to grab on to whats popular at that time and condemn everything else. get out there experience items before buying them if you dont like something observe everything about that build, ask questions about enclosure or why things were done the way they were then research.

take reviews and online personality's opinions on stuff with a grain of salt.

Archived