Sonic Electronix

So 2 15s @ 2400w > 3 12s @ 3600w?

he never said how much power he was actually going to run, so based off the same power the 2 15s should technically be louder as they would receive more power.

now if he was actually going to give them 3600w for the 3 12s then yes, it would be louder, but he hasnt stated what he was going to power hte subs with

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Yes the sub size really doesnt impact how low or high it will play....I have an 8" woofer in my car that plays from 30-65hz all day long and gets pretty nasty while doing so....

I would take the 3 12's since you will have a slight cone area advantage....Look into ported enclosures they will get lower and louder than sealed if thats what you are looking for is low and loud

Low and loud would be nice, but I played some of my favorite music through a sealed boc and through a ported one. I feel like the sealed one hits it a bit more quicly if that makes sense... Like it is punchier and tighter. Just personal preference on this one.

he never said how much power he was actually going to run, so based off the same power the 2 15s should technically be louder as they would receive more power.

now if he was actually going to give them 3600w for the 3 12s then yes, it would be louder, but he hasnt stated what he was going to power hte subs with

I got a 5000 watt amp, so either way, it's a non-issue. :P The only limiter is the VCs of the subs right now.

sealed boxes just have a wider band of frequencys they can play, thats all it really is, where as ported generally has a fall off 10hz or so above and below tuning, so you generally get 20hz range say you tune to 35, then you get up to 45 and down to 25 that it would generally play

where as a sealed will play from 20 to 60 and not have an issue

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

One thing you haven't considered is the final ohm load of subs and if the amp is capable of low impedance.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES, TEAM DC AUDIO

2010 California State Finals Champion MECA AS2

2011 California State Champion Meca S2

2011 California State Record holder Meca S2

2012 Meca Mod 4 class 152.5 and rising

One thing you haven't considered is the final ohm load of subs and if the amp is capable of low impedance.

Final ohm load = 2.67 ohms. So it's all :good:

in pure cone space 4 12's = 2 15's

if you have a amp that will give the T2's all the full rms id go with the 3 12's if you have a amp that will give them the full rms each sub, if youre using the same amp for either one id go with the 2 15's

:nea: woops, 2 15"s < 4 12"s,

2 18"s ~ 4 12"s,

3 12"s < 2 15"s

But anyway, The difference may or may not be noticeable, it takes twice the power to be 3db louder, 1.5x the power will only be 1.5 db more in theory, but it could be more or less depending on the subs/box. I don't think you will really notice that difference in loudness, but, because there is more cone area with 2 15"s, there will be even less difference in theory. I reckon you pick whatever is more practical.

Low and loud would be nice, but I played some of my favorite music through a sealed boc and through a ported one. I feel like the sealed one hits it a bit more quicly if that makes sense... Like it is punchier and tighter. Just personal preference on this one.

I got a 5000 watt amp, so either way, it's a non-issue. :P The only limiter is the VCs of the subs right now.

It depends on the box and sub. I have a Infinity BETA 15" in a ported box that sounds great and has nice punch, it has that higher kick drum bass that you get at loud concerts but it also hits the low tones too.

Also, when I changed sub in the car from a Blaupunkt VPW460 18" to a RE MT 18", I noticed a huge difference, the Bluapunkt sounded crappy and delayed on higher notes but the RE sounds far better and has more punch up in those frequencies. The lows stayed about the same. So keeping the box the same but putting a better sub in can make a big difference, it just depends on how well your sub and also how the box is designed.

Is it really 5KW?

What brand is it?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

2 15s over 3 12s. More cone area and less holes to cut. :clapping:

X2

Refs-(b.f.) 99vic, WCA Rusty(x3) Nathan@XSPOWER, Ampjunkielikeme, Bread0710, AmiCreations (s.t.) REsLaPz, PandaGT(x2), Keiferacing, Juicemane (t.w.) Powski, Big gil[/center]

Build Log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/77726-sss-celica-dc-buildupdate-611-finished/

2005 subi STi 380whp 355whp

17" gold bbs

5% tint all around w/sunglare strip

JVC dvd double din

Knuconceptz 4ga wiring

XS Power!

Big 3

8" SAv2 d2

1800 audiopipe

5000W MAX! of course, so the amp is prob a 1200w amp...

not knocking you, but generally when people ask these questions and say that, they generally have a 1200w amp even if it says 5000w lol

never, ever go by max ratings

also if you have a 5kw amp i hope you have the electrical to back it up

Team DC Audio

Archived