Sonic Electronix

Well until I can get an o-scope and determine without a doubt that I'm clipping I'll just avoid those songs :P anyone in the Tulsa area have one I could use? Haha I looked and the gain is set almost all the way up and eq boost or some crap is about half way up. Cheap amp so its hard to tell. Can't wait for my T1500 :) I just don't want this little amp to break my T1 cause they aren't cheap

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Monster 8g power/ground-1/0 Big 3

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

Hit me up if you need help with anything in the Tulsa Area.

Well until I can get an o-scope and determine without a doubt that I'm clipping I'll just avoid those songs :P anyone in the Tulsa area have one I could use? Haha I looked and the gain is set almost all the way up and eq boost or some crap is about half way up. Cheap amp so its hard to tell. Can't wait for my T1500 :) I just don't want this little amp to break my T1 cause they aren't cheap

turn that stuff down lol don't ever use the eq or "bass boost" on an amp thats just begging for clipped power now ppl will say "O but its not as loud now" well yea its done better and your shit will last longer so you decide

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

well...yes and no. THD+N can also include a warped signal, not just a clipped signal. imagine a sine wave, now make that sine wave out of another sine wave so the line isn't clean...instead it's wavy. that is also part of THD+N. Then there is the noise to add in,,,or +N. total harmonic distortion plus noise. Noise is what the amplifier adds to the signal that wasn't there before. You can have a very distorted signal without clipping, and that, too, can damage a speaker.

Thanks for clearing that up for people. :)

But i was just talking about a sine wave and noise shouldn't be that bad in a decent install. :P

SO you do agree on the part where i said 1% thd will produce less power then 10% THD, without noise.? (on the same amp offcourse)

those measurements are independent. is it more likely that an amp returns higher THD+N at higher power levels? yes. but saying it produces more power jsut because it's producing more distortion is incorrect.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

turn that stuff down lol don't ever use the eq or "bass boost" on an amp thats just begging for clipped power now ppl will say "O but its not as loud now" well yea its done better and your shit will last longer so you decide

BINGO!!!!!!

@Lumpy - we've been talking about gain matching a little in this thread...that gain is NOT A VOLUME CONTROL!!!! and the eq boost is just adding distortion. if you want louder get a bigger amp.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

"pulls out flat-head" Will do! When I got my first system installed I really didn't know much so I took it to ultimate electronics, paid like $200 to have everything installed. Was happy for a good 2 years. Now I'm trying to do my homework and going to do my rebuild all myself. And going to do it right this time around :)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

Hey! Wasn't me who turned it all up. Im slowly but surely learning all I can.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

at least you're learning. Keep asking questions.

and don't forget to check the joint at the former and cone...

Principal

Hey! Wasn't me who turned it all up. Im slowly but surely learning all I can.

thats all you can do man that what i've done and yea check everything on the sub puch down on the sub to whe its out of the box and watch the cone and former with the spiders and listen for a slight click

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

well...yes and no. THD+N can also include a warped signal, not just a clipped signal. imagine a sine wave, now make that sine wave out of another sine wave so the line isn't clean...instead it's wavy. that is also part of THD+N. Then there is the noise to add in,,,or +N. total harmonic distortion plus noise. Noise is what the amplifier adds to the signal that wasn't there before. You can have a very distorted signal without clipping, and that, too, can damage a speaker.

Thanks for clearing that up for people. :)

But i was just talking about a sine wave and noise shouldn't be that bad in a decent install. :P

SO you do agree on the part where i said 1% thd will produce less power then 10% THD, without noise.? (on the same amp offcourse)

those measurements are independent. is it more likely that an amp returns higher THD+N at higher power levels? yes. but saying it produces more power jsut because it's producing more distortion is incorrect.

I'm sorry but there is a misunderstanding,probably because english isn't my native language and this is a convo on the internet. :( (ill just leave it)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I have a T1 12 in a 1.3ft^3 sealed box powered by a little alpine m-500 wired at 4 ohm so its doing around 300w rms. When i crank it up a bit on certain songs/frequencies it sounds like the sub is tapping on something? The guy at my local shop said its because i have my low pass set too high, which doesnt sound right to me because on my amp its turned as low as possible because there isnt an "off" option, and on my headunit its set to 63hz, and my high pass is set to 100hz. Was wondering if anyone knew what this might be and how i could fix it.

When you say your crossover is set as low as possible, are you referring to the frequency? As to say the low pass crossover on your amp is set to 35hz (or whatever the lowest setting is)?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived