Where do you buy your equipment?

Where do you buy your equipment  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one or more

• Local Dealer
    • Online Store
    • Factory Direct
    • Used Equipment, ie ebay, smd, craigslist

In another topic I started discussing how unauthorized dealers get the products in the first place there was another good point. If a shop has what I am looking for in stock and I can take it home today I have no problem paying a little more and supporting the local economy. However if I go into a shop and they say yeah they can order it, well so can I, and I can save money if I order it myself too. Shops also tend to perpetuate bad ideas to the masses...Example:

A guy that had 2 MTX 15's off of a 1500w MTX amp had wanted to show me how loud they could get and went to the back where he grabbed a screwdriver and turned the gain all the way up. I said what are you doing?!? And he said the shop that put them in (reputable shop here) said that when he wanted to compete and show off to turn the gain all the way up. I said that was a bad idea and he was at risk of blowing his subs. He shrugged my off saying nonsense they know better, they're a shop. Then he had a Golf GTI full of white smoke after cooking both subs...

The sales teams, and installation staff need to be better educated in the products they sell and the things they tell the consumers. Lots of car audio shops have turned into a situation where I feel like I am buying something from a drug dealer because they are so busy trying to be buddy buddy and give you a "hook up" on the price so they can get the sale they don't learn anything about the products, and give misinformation, and often are just down right rude if you have any questions they can't answer, and tend to say "well are you gonna buy it or not, cause if you're standing here now taking my time up with questions I could be making a sale to that other guy over there that actually wants to buy something."

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

I have never, and never will, buy car audio equipment online. I've said it before, and I'll continue to preach this...your local dealer is going to take care of you. the online guys don't know you and don't care to know you. They often are not authorized, so no warranty. You go to your local dealer to listen to them, and ask for tech support, but you won't buy from them. I know a lot of the online guys personally, and am making a push for them to stick to MAP pricing and go authorized, offer online and over the phone technical support, and offer installation services through local dealers.

I know the internet is here to stay, and you will always be able to find something online, so i'm not going to fight it completely. I will continue to fight the fly by night places, though. If they want to be a part of MY industry they'll conform to the needs OF the industry. This industry needs brick and mortar shops, people who have been doing this their entire lives. People who LOVE this industry like I do.

Places like woofers etc, and hifisound are literally destroying this industry from the inside. They encourage the race to $0, and that affects quality. Pioneer just came out with a radio that is listed at MSRP for $79...dealer cost is $64. that means the dealer makes about $8 after shipping. that's not a good way to keep the lights on. i also can't imagine how much of a pile of crap that radio has to be to only cost Pioneer $30 to make (yes, markup is that much)...

If you want quality, and for the manufacturer to support the product, and you, then you'll support them, and your local dealer...it's a constant support cycle. the internet guys break that cycle, and break the industry.

I disagree. It's easy for you do say that, since you can buy all your stuff pretty damn cheap. I will never, never buy from a local store. They're all a bunch of "know it alls" and only 1 run brand, and like someone else said, talk shit about any other.My local shop wanted 5$ a ft for some 8 gauge. I laughed at them and hung up. I'll do all my shopping online. I refuse to help any local shop whatsoever. If only you knew what went on behind the scenes of 99.9% of local shops, you would understand.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

you say that like I haven't worked in a shop before. I know how some of them can be. find a good shop and only use them. get to know them, recommend friends there. yes, for every good shop there are 5 trunk slammers who lie to you about everything. I learned very early in my career that talking shit about brands I don't carry only make me look bad. If I didn't carry it, and you were determined to use that brand i'd get it for you. I might have to take a hit on profit to do it, but that means I keep you as a customer, and maybe next time you'll let me sell you something I carry regularly. They are out there, you just have to do your due diligence to find them.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Due diligence is a huge factor many people overlook these days. From the consumer, to the shop, to the tech, installer to the company. I think, albeit I had my doubts, this thread turned into quite the productive conversation

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

It's pretty funny. When i was running the 16 Powerbass subs in the back of the truck, I would hear from shops all the time that if I went with (insert store boner here) brand, that I would be louder. Or my other favorite line I would here was "Powerbass? must be some flea market junk" Not once in the 4 years that I had the system working that I heard from a shop that they either heard of the brand, or were interested in it before I would demo the system. That's pretty sad when the company has huge booths at the tradeshows and were a local manufacture to my area.

Here is another issue with a retail recommendation. Say I have someone who wants to do say 20kw and 4-18's and wants everything installed and a good box built? Who would I recommend to do the work? Who in 100 miles of me has ever done that type of work? A trunk slammer? sure, he could enlarge the holes a couple of dual 15's prefabs and screw them together. You can't expect a truly reputable shop to take on that kind of work. Most shops have never turned out any real goundpounders around here, And you sure as shit can't afford their prices for the install if they do.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

My rep wants to open a dealer in Las Cruces who is supposedly pretty good. is that closer?

Nope further, thats about 5 and a half hours......Oh well, 98% of the products I buy, are companies that only sell online, and dont have dealers.....So I guess if I put it that way, Im not really effecting the shops, it would be different if I wanted to run JL, and got everything online, even though there is a dealer that is near me, in that case I would most likely go to the shop for the equipment.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

It's pretty funny. When i was running the 16 Powerbass subs in the back of the truck, I would hear from shops all the time that if I went with (insert store boner here) brand, that I would be louder. Or my other favorite line I would here was "Powerbass? must be some flea market junk" Not once in the 4 years that I had the system working that I heard from a shop that they either heard of the brand, or were interested in it before I would demo the system. That's pretty sad when the company has huge booths at the tradeshows and were a local manufacture to my area.

Here is another issue with a retail recommendation. Say I have someone who wants to do say 20kw and 4-18's and wants everything installed and a good box built? Who would I recommend to do the work? Who in 100 miles of me has ever done that type of work? A trunk slammer? sure, he could enlarge the holes a couple of dual 15's prefabs and screw them together. You can't expect a truly reputable shop to take on that kind of work. Most shops have never turned out any real goundpounders around here, And you sure as shit can't afford their prices for the install if they do.

yet, SPL is HUGE up there. you'd think SOMEONE would realize that, and open a shop.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

You know, back in 05' I got the opportunity to look at dealer cost on Eclipse equipment. After I seen that and what they actually sell it for I decided to never go to a local shop ever again, especially when they get it for a third of what they sell it for and they can't hook a guy up with a deal. I figure if shops get Eclipse equipment that cheap then all shops must get the other brands of equipment at about 1/3 as well. Screw local shops. Last time I went to a local shop was in 00' and I bought an RF Power 1000.2 and a pair of HX2 12's for $1350. $850 for the amp and another $500 for the subs. I still didn't get a "hook up" from them after that. What could I buy now days with that same cash and buying factory direct or an online store? The possibilities are endless and the outcome is a lot bigger. Screw local shops

"i'd rather die like a man than live like a coward" quoted from Tupac

Archived