Sound stage 'width' adjustment.

So I did a small install on a friends car using Polk components and coax's. It is by no means a high end SQ car, but how can I get the the stage to seem wider, as if you were in a front row of a concert, sound from far left to far right and still some in the middle. The question is not so much for this car, but my upcoming rebuild. It's a wall build, so i'll have only 8" mids in the lower door, two sets of 6 1/2 components about chest level in the doors. Still unsure about tweeter placement or wether or no to put something in the A-pllar.

Sorry this is lengthy, just thought i'd put all the info out there. How can I get that wide stage?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

if the tweets are on the pillar, on-axis will widen it.

Tweets down low,, but run them 180 out from the mids will raise, and usually give the perception of a wider stage

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Once again i have learned something from Ray the SQ Guru :)

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

if the tweets are on the pillar, on-axis will widen it.

Tweets down low,, but run them 180 out from the mids will raise, and usually give the perception of a wider stage

Cool. Thats what I thought about tweets on the pillar. With the tweets down low, by 180 you're talking about phase, right? Dumb question, I know, just making sure.

Edited by OrionStang

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Just curious in the vehicle this build is for.....each vehicle has its acoustic limits. Tweeter placement will give you some control of the width but make sure not to drag too far from the mid. Phasing can help to bring them closer but ideally to keep them together is the best. The general idea when placing speakers is to get them as far away from the listening area as possible with out losing line of site, thus depending on the vehicle, kick panels or a-pillars are normally used. The hard core SQ guys you'll find majority of their's in the pillars as deep as possible because they are looking for width, height and depth.

Edited by Team Bassick - Kimo

Just curious in the vehicle this build is for.....each vehicle has its acoustic limits. Tweeter placement will give you some control of the width but make sure not to drag too far from the mid. Phasing can help to bring them closer but ideally to keep them together is the best. The general idea when placing speakers is to get them as far away from the listening area as possible with out losing line of site, thus depending on the vehicle, kick panels or a-pillars are normally used. The hard core SQ guys you'll find majority of their's in the pillars as deep as possible because they are looking for width, height and depth.

2010 Mustang. Its not an all out SQ car, it'll be walled with alot of power. I just noticed in a speaker replacement for a friend that the music really felt like it is front of you, not surrounding, which is what I would like. I will have 2 6.5 component sets per door, plus an 8" midbass in each door down low. Undecided about a-pillar speakers.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Good Luck. You should get some definite volume with that set up. Depending how you angle the speakers will give you what your looking for. If the 6.5 are in the middle of the doors instead of low you should be able to mount one of the tweeters on the dash/a pillar. Can't wait to see the build thread.

also make sure your speakers are in phase, mine have the passenger side wired "backward" to make them be in phase

this track will help you check that

http://www.zshare.net/audio/85140882e51b1a74/

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Good Luck. You should get some definite volume with that set up. Depending how you angle the speakers will give you what your looking for. If the 6.5 are in the middle of the doors instead of low you should be able to mount one of the tweeters on the dash/a pillar. Can't wait to see the build thread.

I can't wait either. It is really up in the air though if it will be in the Mustang or in a different car (I want to make the 'Stang a track car), your info will help either way. Audiotistics Tim will be doing the doors regardless of the vehicle, and if you've seen his work, you know it'll be badass.

also make sure your speakers are in phase, mine have the passenger side wired "backward" to make them be in phase

this track will help you check that

http://www.zshare.net/audio/85140882e51b1a74/

I wouldn't have thought of that, something else to toy with. Thanks.

Edited by OrionStang

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Hate to sound like a noob, but what does "on axis" mean?

Also, I have the width problem as well. Sounds like the sound is coming straight out of the HU like it were an actual radio.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.