XS Power

I am soon wanting to move to an 18v system running X amount of XS power D1600s for the bank. I have read several ways of doing it, including the sticky in this section, but it seems there are several ways of doing it. I want to basically know what is the best choice.

The two options i've found are:

1.) Run a full 16v battery bank, being charged by a 16v alternator(s). Run X amount of stepdown modules to power the car, cd player, and everything else not made to run above 14.4v.

2.) Run a dual alternator setup and two seperate voltage systems. A 12v battery in the stock location being charged by a 12v alternator, while the second alternator (16v) charges up the bank in the back.

Now it seems to me that scenario #1 would be the best choice, seeing as you could in fact run 2 16v alternators to charge your bank better, vs wasting 200+ amperes on the 12v battery that is powering nothing but the car. But I was told that the second option would be your best bet. Why is this? Because it is safer if the step down modules fail/short/whatever?

For that matter, another question I know several people want the answer to. If I run 18volts to my amps, but a 14.4v (from stepdown modules to the CD player) remote wire, is that going to cause issues? Is there someway to run the remote wire at 18v?

I have searched several forums including RoE, here, and Caco for a direct answer and they have all kind of pointed to both of these options, different people claiming either/or is better. So simply put, what is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance. :D

I am soon wanting to move to an 18v system running X amount of XS power D1600s for the bank. I have read several ways of doing it, including the sticky in this section, but it seems there are several ways of doing it. I want to basically know what is the best choice.

The two options i've found are:

1.) Run a full 16v battery bank, being charged by a 16v alternator(s). Run X amount of stepdown modules to power the car, cd player, and everything else not made to run above 14.4v.

2.) Run a dual alternator setup and two seperate voltage systems. A 12v battery in the stock location being charged by a 12v alternator, while the second alternator (16v) charges up the bank in the back.

Now it seems to me that scenario #1 would be the best choice, seeing as you could in fact run 2 16v alternators to charge your bank better, vs wasting 200+ amperes on the 12v battery that is powering nothing but the car. But I was told that the second option would be your best bet. Why is this? Because it is safer if the step down modules fail/short/whatever?

For that matter, another question I know several people want the answer to. If I run 18volts to my amps, but a 14.4v (from stepdown modules to the CD player) remote wire, is that going to cause issues? Is there someway to run the remote wire at 18v?

I have searched several forums including RoE, here, and Caco for a direct answer and they have all kind of pointed to both of these options, different people claiming either/or is better. So simply put, what is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance. :D

I run the #2 option.My stock alt to my trucks 12v components(computer,cd player, ect.... Then i have a alt for the 16v battery bank in the back.Works fine.

Member of Team 808

Member of Team North East Spl

When the Saab is done, I will be doing option 2. One stock alt for stock stuff and stereo, and 2 220 amp alts just for my system.

As for the remote wire, everything will have a common ground, all the remote wire does is turn the amp on, it can be at stock voltage. If you are worried about it, just run the remote line into a relay that is hooked up to your battery bank and you'll be good to go.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Ok, I can see option two as the easier option, but is not running the second alt a problem once you hit a good amount of power? My plans are to run atleast a SD 5k as of now, then soon either upgrade to a 12k or another 5k. These will be pushing 4 DC lvl 5 15"s in a backseat wall. I may just be looking into it too much, but say im only running a 270 amp alt for the 16v bank, how many D1600s will I need to keep up with 8k+ wattage? I know the 1600s are rated for what I believe to be about 1600 watts daily a piece, but will I notice bad voltage drop with 5-7 of these batteries and only one HO alt?

Last but not least, I suppose since I don't want to connect the 16v bank to the front 12v battery, 2 runs of 1/0 from the alt to the bank would be my best option I suppose, but as for a ground to the rear bank, just ground to chassis? Or is grounding to the front battery the best/or even an option?

Fyi, only reason I ask about the alts, or why im concerned, is i'm not sure if more then a dual alt setup is possible for my car. Its all going into a 98 civic sedan. I know I can run a dual alt setup, but I believe I have to remove the A/C to do so. Will have to look more into that as I start loading up on more equipment for the build. :)

Edited by tonedeaf

personaly, 18volt charging system is a waste, especially for only 5-10krms.

Now maybe if you where way limited on space, and looking for a a extra few tenths on the termlab it maybe worth it.

I planned to run a 18volt setup for years now, but I just didnt have the need to use it.

If I had to do it tho, I would run option 1 with the stepdowns and have all 3 of my alts charging 18volts. :drinks:

personaly, 18volt charging system is a waste, especially for only 5-10krms.

Now maybe if you where way limited on space, and looking for a a extra few tenths on the termlab it maybe worth it.

I planned to run a 18volt setup for years now, but I just didnt have the need to use it.

If I had to do it tho, I would run option 1 with the stepdowns and have all 3 of my alts charging 18volts. :drinks:

This is what I was thinking...want more power you need to feed it. That being said, I understand its only 5-10k for now. That being said, when the budget permits it, ill be stepping up to more batteries and possibly a SD 16k at some point. It's going to be 4 lvl 5 15s and they will laugh at 10k for all four. So if i'm gonna bite the bullet and do it, I might as well do it right for future upgrades. :drinks:

With the limited placement space in a civic, I would just do the stepdown and be done with it. As for battery bank grounding, ground them directly to the alternators. 2 runs of positive and 2 runs of negative for each alternator, you'll see the most stable voltage that way.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

yea. just noticed its a civic, so it maybe worth it in your case.

There was a guy on here that put 2 alts on a civic i think, tho I dont remember the guys name or anything and the car just always stayed on blocks at his house iirc.

As for having voltage drop, that will probably happen when you get your bigger amp, but the 16volt batteries are not that big, so im sure you can fit more then 7 in the car if need be.

And for your ground question, Ground to your front battery (if 16volt too) or your alternator(s)

if you actually go thru with these upgrades, no reason to skimp on wire for a quality grounding source!