Second Skin Audio

enclosure thickness

LsChevy

the thicker the stronger the box if you're playing small subs.. 3/4 thickness will do, but if you're doing bigger set ups like 15's 18's with tons of power.. double, triple, 4x if you have to , there's less flexin on your box

people like you shouldn't be posting

3/4's is fine for the average box

3/4's is good for almost everything you need with propper bracing you dont need anything more

hell my 4 apxx 15s were in 1/2" box's with 2x4s on the inside to brace it an not one problem

if you build your box properly and brace accordingly you shouldn't worry

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

The half inch and 2x4 deal sounds like allot of work. The thicker the better! Double 1 inch 45 corners lots of wood glue 2 inch brad nails

actually the correct answer is not to say how thick the material should be, but rather how rigid it should be.

If it was built using 1" MDF would you say that is as strong as say 1" Steel?

see my point.

The material being used for the project at hand really needs to be considered. Other things that can create a more rigid surface without the added mass of extra panels is proper bracing.

The most common material used for building enclosures is MDF due to price and mass. Its heavy, but is pretty weak as far as resonances are concerned.

Another material that is starting to for some reason blast off into outer space as a new concept, but in actuality its been used for a long time is a layered Birch ply. Very Very strong, very rigid, and very lightweight. Birch, actually is half the weight of MDF but actually twice as strong.

There are also some people using a type of apple ply that is said to be equally as strong as birch, but it is a tad higher in price in certain locations.

The point is... depending on bracing and material used, determine what will be the best way to go for your setup.

The half inch and 2x4 deal sounds like allot of work. The thicker the better! Double 1 inch 45 corners lots of wood glue 2 inch brad nails

double 1" are you kidding dude as stated before 3/4 is plenty if your worried about flex use resin and brace it anything over 3/4 is overkill

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

i think 3/4 with bracing will be just fine , the only reason i use 1" is if a have a big span that i can not brace , the mdf is only half the box , the bracing is key , use some 45,s in the corners and you should be fine

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE PAGE

http://www.youtube.com/user/motoxxx211?feature=mhee

[/size]

Archived