Second Skin Audio

sonic soundlabs

fmedina

so I guess I'm the only one wondering how they intend to use that motor with such a small spider?

and a pole vent does jack for cooling, it helps relive under dustcap pressure that's about it. and technically a pole vent makes cooling worse ;)

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

and technically a pole vent makes cooling worse ;)

One of the few correct things I've seen in the thread yet *laughs*

Klippel has published papers on this -- here is a sample :

http://www.klippel.de/measurements/power-handling-heat-dissipation/thermal-analysis-and-heat-transfer/

Since Fi/AA was brought up -- notice how they seal up the pole on all their high power subs ? It directs the air-flow in a much more effective manner than a large vented pole.

-----

As for solid poles increasing BL -- only if the pole is saturated beyond what it can handle with a vent. If you have a motor with low or incomplete saturation already and make the pole solid don't expect to see a big or any increase in motor power.

A solid pole with no additional venting can actually reduce SPL output due to the pressure -- on our NS v.1 motor with plugged pole we vented the coil former to combat this. It gained on average 0.4 dB of SPL and we didn't even run a super tight gap on those (1.15mm from former to pole). SSL did implement a vented former so perhaps they know that as well.

Back to Fi/AA -- they have channels on the pole to reduce the pressure of air so they don't suffer the SPL drop from sealing the pole and don't need to vent the former either.

I use different methods these days that direct air where I want it to go without fully sealing the pole... as seen in the SA line and NS v.2 (Z v.2 uses a different method with opposite air-flow direction).

-----

As for "calling up china" and making a speaker... it's really not that easy if you want something worth a crap. If you just want "a speaker" that is fine and dandy... but if you want a driver that performs well and to your specification it takes plenty of effort, design time, prototyping, testing, tooling, etc.

More power to Fi/AA for machining their parts here -- that is great and they should be proud of that.

It also doesn't mean a quality speaker cannot be made in China.

-----

In any event -- Good luck to SSL. They make some claims I don't agree with -- but that is their business and in the age of the internet anything they do that is not legit will come back on them later.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

As for "calling up china" and making a speaker... it's really not that easy if you want something worth a crap. If you just want "a speaker" that is fine and dandy... but if you want a driver that performs well and to your specification it takes plenty of effort, design time, prototyping, testing, tooling, etc.

More power to Fi/AA for machining their parts here -- that is great and they should be proud of that.

It also doesn't mean a quality speaker cannot be made in China.

:werd_msword:

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Jake, I didn't say you couldn't get quality from China, and is not talking shit about it. As if I did, I would be talking about almost companies.

But they rave about American assembled, but the main part if the sub isn't assembled here. That was my point. Its not that china can't do the job well, cause I've seen very quality work come from china. But don't rant about being special, if your really not.

There are plenty of companies that do the same thing as them, but don't advertise it. They let the quality speak for itself.

And those prices are totally rapping customers IMO. Its like there are trying to charge more for the few American made parts they do have.

This is my opinion. I don't see them building a big customer base with the prices listed in this thread. Not when you can get all these other companies with similar products(possible better), for a great deal cheaper. And these companies are already proven, and are stable.

If I had money to spare, I'd actually buy one of their subs, just to test. But at the moment, and there prices, its not going to happen.

Like I said, just MY opinion. Nobody has to agree.

It is my opinion that if I cannot add value to the product by doing work to it here it's not worth it to the customer. It wouldn't add value to an SA-12 if I glued it together and packed it up -- but it would take me 10x longer to get them shipped out. This is a big reason I'm moving our Z line out-of-house as I'll be able to offer a product that is just as good, IMO, for less money AND get it shipped out faster.

So I would agree there is no sense in touting "American Made" and charging for it if there is no value added.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

It is my opinion that if I cannot add value to the product by doing work to it here it's not worth it to the customer. It wouldn't add value to an SA-12 if I glued it together and packed it up -- but it would take me 10x longer to get them shipped out. This is a big reason I'm moving our Z line out-of-house as I'll be able to offer a product that is just as good, IMO, for less money AND get it shipped out faster.

So I would agree there is no sense in touting "American Made" and charging for it if there is no value added.

:werd_msword:

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Rofl.

I'm just having a good laugh at this company.

They don't even have real packaging material.

I bet this is ran out of a single wide trailer in the woods.

Where they use there USA glue and USA motor bolts.

Sure, the sub has a triple stack motor structure. Nothing special. Everybody and there brother has used this.

Another company playing out the same ole shit.

DD used those cones back in the day also.

Damn your a hater,where's your company? Some people just want to hate on anything,it's in your blood i guess.

Archived