4 gauge for 240 amp alt for now?

I would just do it in OFC 1/0 because if u later upgrade u will need to upgrade to 1/0 ofc anyways. Why buy wire twice. Easier to do it once and call it a day.

You're absolutely right. I should have went ahead and did big three in 0. At the time I bought the 4 gauge I thought it will be enough I'm not gonna want to upgrade....that was stupid to think haha of course I'm going to want to upgrade.

Not gonna want to upgrade = famous last words

Been there.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I would just do it in OFC 1/0 because if u later upgrade u will need to upgrade to 1/0 ofc anyways. Why buy wire twice. Easier to do it once and call it a day.

You're absolutely right. I should have went ahead and did big three in 0. At the time I bought the 4 gauge I thought it will be enough I'm not gonna want to upgrade....that was stupid to think haha of course I'm going to want to upgrade.

Not gonna want to upgrade = famous last words

Been there.

Haha absolutely.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Any wire that touches the battery should be fused Your front to back run would be a priority over the alt to battery run.

Of course! I fuse everything haha

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

4 gauge wire will only allow 150a amps of current to be passed through it. You get that 240a alt and only running 150a of current through it would be a waste. Upgrade to atleast 1/0 (ofc, cca, welding cable, really doesn't matter) so in the future when you get a bigger amp (and you WILL) you can fully utilize all the amperage your alt can put out

for the time being, I'd much rather spend my money on a quality AGM battery under the hood, that will be fully utilized rather than the alt that will be under utilized. You have a pretty good stock alt, use it. The saz 1200 is a very efficient amp. Daily, you will never pull anywhere near 120a of current

4 gauge wire will only allow 150a amps of current to be passed through it. You get that 240a alt and only running 150a of current through it would be a waste. Upgrade to atleast 1/0 (ofc, cca, welding cable, really doesn't matter) so in the future when you get a bigger amp (and you WILL) you can fully utilize all the amperage your alt can put out

for the time being, I'd much rather spend my money on a quality AGM battery under the hood, that will be fully utilized rather than the alt that will be under utilized. You have a pretty good stock alt, use it. The saz 1200 is a very efficient amp. Daily, you will never pull anywhere near 120a of current

Are you saying a 3 foot long run of 4 gauge is going to handle the same amount of amperage as a 17 foot run?

Edit: read the rest of your post... entirely disagree. An alt should always be prioritized before a battery. You're not even utilizing your batteries until you get under 13ish volts

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

You do realize an alt only puts out what's it's asked for righy? An alternator doesn't just pump out full current at all times I puts out what the demand is.

OP do you have anymore 4 Guage left that you could do an second run for all the big three wires with? If so I'd just do that. Now if you have the money the money and can order some 1/0 I'd go ahead and do it now so you don't have to worry about it later I'd also just add that in addition to the 4 guage.

Op

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Thanks for the suggestion. Imy not sure if you saw what I replied to someone or not but the stock alt is failing so I might as well upgrade to one where I won't have to upgrade the alt for a while. Know what I mean? Otherwise I would have just gotten an nice xs power battery for now. But I understand where you were coming from.

thanks!

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Sorry to go off topic but figured it would save making a new thread and it's related lol. I just was wondering, how many in line fuses should there be total, big 3 and runs to rear? I have my Big 3 done in 1/0 OFC and have two runs of 2ga. OFC to rear. I only have a 150a fuse link in each run of 2ga., none in the big 3... Is this ok? Never really dawned on me until I read this post, sorry in advance if I wasn't supposed to post this here.

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Sorry to go off topic but figured it would save making a new thread and it's related lol. I just was wondering, how many in line fuses should there be total, big 3 and runs to rear? I have my Big 3 done in 1/0 OFC and have two runs of 2ga. OFC to rear. I only have a 150a fuse link in each run of 2ga., none in the big 3... Is this ok? Never really dawned on me until I read this post, sorry in advance if I wasn't supposed to post this here.

It's all good man. But every positive wire touching the battery should be fused including from alt to battery. And obviously all runs of pos to the rear.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Archived