Service Engine Light Came On

Hi everyone, my 1998 Nissan Maxima with 118600 miles on it just recently had the "service engine soon" light come on. I scheduled for a service for this coming monday morning, but the anticipation is killing me, they could not tell me right off the bat what it could be. I searched up this problem on other websites and everyone told me the same thing, "Autozone gives free diagnostics for why an engine light is on" but i am working all day tomorrow and would not have time to do that. A friend of mine said it could be an oil change, or the sensors, or that it just needs to be reset, but i had an oil change at 117250, next one scheduled at 120250. Last time serviced was at 117368 miles, replaced ball joints on that service, thats it.

I have noticed my car acting a lil funny ever since my install was completed (Beginning of December). I noticed that before i get on the highway, it takes about 2 seconds to pick up when i step on the gas pedal more to gain acceleration...i only thought this was happening cuz i got so much weight in the trunk, hopefully thats the case, so i didnt bother to take it in to service it. (Which im never gonna do from now on if i start noticing something funny again). Also, once in a while on a cold engine, my car would start (rpm goes from 0 to like 2.5 when i start car, which is normal), but instead of idling at 1.5 rpm on a cold engine, itll just go all the way down to 0 and car will shut off, so i have to give it a lil gas after i turn the ignition, then itll be fine from that point on. This only happened a few times though, it wasnt a constant thing. But ever since the engine light came on, its doing it even on a warm engine. Also, my car is making a clunking sound from the belts area, and from the exaust, the exaust smoke is coming out in puffs instead of a steady flow. I can feel the clunking inside the car too when im at a stoplight for example. Also, i noticed that the pulling of the belts (when the belts turn, motor is running) has gotten a lot louder. The car drives just the same after 15 mph, so hopefully its not anything serious. Hopefully you guys can give me input on this

**I checked the oil dipstick right away after my car was running for 1 minute and noticed that the entire dipstick was filled with oil, so i freaked out, but then thought i did it to early, so i waited 15 more minutes and the oil level was fine. Was it filled up like that just cuz it does that when the engine is running, or is there something wrong?

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

Having to give it gas to get it going sounds like the fuel pump

Autozone/Kragen should be able to pull the codes for free then you take the codes and go on the net and see what they mean...any shop can do this

With my car I have it built in so I can pull the codes myself through the dash and clear them

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

http://forums.maxima.org/

You should join and post your problem here. You might get better help there on a count of they deal with nothing other than Maximas :)

i joined that a while ago, they still havent activated my account

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

i joined that a while ago, they still havent activated my account

I see... It's really hard to pin point your problem over the e-net. Just relax, probably ain't anything big. Maybe just a faulty sensor or dirty fuel filter.

Derp.

I see... It's really hard to pin point your problem over the e-net. Just relax, probably ain't anything big. Maybe just a faulty sensor or dirty fuel filter.

i mean, i thought all those symptoms can happen on other cars too, so there might be a similar situation

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

Without knowing the code, you're kinda stabbing in the dark.

And a check engine light won't mean you need to change your oil.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

The sluggish pedal sounds like its not sensing either the throttle position from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), or the air flow from Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor. If any of these get either debris or water in/on them they get to acting up. Changed air filter lately? Just like everyone says, with no codes your stabbing a needle into a blacked out warehouse... I would definately take it to an y auto parts store of your choice to find out what the code says, and the good ones will tell you what it means and what part is broken that needs replacing so the shop/mechanic doesnt screw you over.

Edit: If I understood you correctly, you could just have a loose belt tensioner causing the problems as well, I like to have my belts only move less than half an inch of total slack, from one way to the other, I dont know much about your car, so this is general help.

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

fml, cars are such bullshit....I fix my accident damage (well almost done, still needs paint) now this bullshit. I took it in to service this morning, here are the problems with my car

New Belts, New Sensors, Complete Tune Up: $695

Need New Catalytic Converter/Pipes: $1425

New Tires/Allignment/Rotation (Already Knew About This, Planned To Do This In March Or So): $600

FUCKIN $2000????? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!! I understand the first one, it was no surprise there that it needed a tune up/belts and shit cuz i noticed my engine acting funny lately, but the car converter and shit?? In the past, i decided to get a car for car audio and performance...then, i changed my mind after i got my car and said no performance, just straight up car audio. I think that instead of buying a stock exhaust system ($445), ill get a Megan Racing Exhaust System ($350) with a 5 year product warranty and much stronger/rust proof pipes. Ill also get an Injen Cold Air Intake ($258) and Cattman Headers ($155) and have a buddie of mine put that together for a low cost. Ill save around $500 doing all that shit than putting new OEM parts in there. I'd like to hear some thoughts on my decision.....I'm gettting my car back tomorrow with only the $695 service done, nothing else. I was told the hole in the pipes will send fumes to my motor and ruin it so i have to make a decision...fast!

**This hole might be the reason why Crump and I were hearing a rattling sound underneath the car

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

LoL..they're raping you. I would have waited on the service you got done. Never take it to one place and have the car fixed there. Take it to another place and compare.

Is your car blowing out smoke from the exhaust? If so what color? Also the starting like you said could mean many things as well...leaky fuel injector being one. Did they give what code was coming up? If so post it. As for your cat..search the internet for one. (unless you're set on aftermarket) You'll find it soo much cheaper and its probably bolt on..check rockauto.com for parts..they're fairly cheap.

As for holes in pipes..what? They exhaust has holes and this is harmful for the engine?? That what they said?

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Archived