Second Skin Audio

Nails vs Screws for boxes

Screws over nails (And when we say nails,we mean braid nails out of a gun) for the reason of as they actually tighten down they create a clamping affect on the joint that is being GLUED together. Notice i said GLUED together, not liquid nailed together.

Liquid nails is a construction adhesive, not a glue that bonds wood together to be as one piece.

Alright thanks for the tip. Hey this is my first time building a box so i have my work cut out for me. And i was wondering. Since im making my box a inch and a half thick on all the sides i want to bond two sheets of 3/4" plywood (birchwood to be specific). Now do i have to spread the glue or just go nuts putting it between the two boards?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Screws over nails (And when we say nails,we mean braid nails out of a gun) for the reason of as they actually tighten down they create a clamping affect on the joint that is being GLUED together. Notice i said GLUED together, not liquid nailed together.

Liquid nails is a construction adhesive, not a glue that bonds wood together to be as one piece.

Alright thanks for the tip. Hey this is my first time building a box so i have my work cut out for me. And i was wondering. Since im making my box a inch and a half thick on all the sides i want to bond two sheets of 3/4" plywood (birchwood to be specific). Now do i have to spread the glue or just go nuts putting it between the two boards?

Just put it as if you where putting mustard on a sandwich, squiggly lines, then when you clamp the wood it will spread, and just leave something heavy like a battery or something on top for like a day for it to cure completely.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

how about a smd on the top? is that heavy enough? Also i was thinking to do that for it too but what about putting screws all throughout it like every few inches to keep it nice and tight or is that just totally overkill?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

if i remember school right..to many screws could weaken the wood..but im not sure

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

how about a smd on the top? is that heavy enough? Also i was thinking to do that for it too but what about putting screws all throughout it like every few inches to keep it nice and tight or is that just totally overkill?

You can use screws to "clamp" it together, just don't go too overkill, one every 8" or so in a grid pattern should be ok.

ok. sounds like a plan for me. I want a system to actually last and not blow up the smd or destroy the box. its getting a little expensive to keep blowing subs (and yes its totally my fault because i had shitty boxes and didnt have a scope to tune my stuff with) but live and learn.

Thanks for the tips!

seriously are you for real? Screws all the way. Imagine you just using a nail gun for a sealed enclosure. The pressure inside the box will build and build and it will find a way to try and release the pressure which if you use nails means blowing off one of the sides of the box. Just use screws. And if you are going for looks dont be cheap and get some fabric or leather or something to cover the damn box and make it look good. Or if you want it to be all wood and varnish it, they have special bits out there where you can drill it and it will make a plug out of the spot you drilled and you can use that plug to place over the top of the screw once you countersink it a little bit and you wont be able to tell that theres a screw there.

Screws.......though the screws are just there to hold the box together while the glue dries, after that they aren't even really needed.

The glue is the real integral part of keeping the box together.

Edit: Goddammit OBI you

ninja2.jpggold-letter-D.jpg

ME

LOL. And mmm sexy ninja

i use staples, its the glue AND bracing that holds it all together, i feel that staples are better in 3/4 its dose not split the wood , you can use more staples that screws if the wood is a little warped this is one of those topics , that will go on for ever ,

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE PAGE

http://www.youtube.com/user/motoxxx211?feature=mhee

[/size]

I believe someone did a test to see which joint could support more weight: just glue, glue+brad nails, and glue+drywall screws. Both brad nails and screws were able to hold a fair amount more weight than just glue, and screws won out overall.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Archived