Sonic Electronix

Which subwoofer has the most excursion?

does the amount of xmax make for the ability to push more air? besides cone area playing a factor in that, i didnt know if the ability to move further helped with that

xmax isn't exactly related to the amount of air the speaker can move, it is related to the amount of force it can apply to the air.

xmax = amplitude

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Get a 15" Fi bl. They Excurt the most.

i was gonna mention this but figured dr subwoofer comments were getting old, lol

i think they will be considered throwback comments pretty soon, lol

xmax and cone area do kind of have a similar end result; they just take different paths to get there.

more cone area = more air moved = more SPL (usually)

more xmax = air moved with more force = more SPL (usually)

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I can't believe there hasn't been a Funky Pups comment yet.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

I would look more in to xmax x's SD

That is what is more important. You can have a 12" woofer that has 3" of xmax, but due to the surround needed to move a cone that far, your back to cone area of a 8" subwoofer, that can just play very low.

Here are a few other things to think about.

If a woofer has alot of xmax, more than commonly needed, say 3" xmax, think about how long it takes for that cone to make one complete cycle?

Its ALOT longer, so this is only effective at very low frequencies where a slow cone moving back and forth is needed more

Think about this:

12" cone about 85 - 90sq inches of cone area

15" cone about 145 - 175sq inches

18" cone about 215 - 150sq inches

If a 18" has about 500cubic (2" - 2.5" xmax total) inches of air movement (vd) at xmax, how far does each of the other cones need to move back and forth to produce the same amount of air pressure?

Not really a good idea to get a woofer based on xmax, when you can move the same amount of air, if not more, just by jumping up cone size.

anyways, to equal the same air movement- not even db efficiency, your looking at about

5.5" cone travel for the 12"

3.3" cone travel for the 15"

2" - 2.3" cone travel for the 18"

Larger cone areas yield higher efficiency on average, so its win win with larger cone area

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived