Second Skin Audio

I love prefab boxes. . .

So I really don't feel like building a box right now for my new truck I just bought. Start looking around on the internet for prefab, sealed box to use (I do not trust ported Prefab boxes, but some of the sealed boxes are nice). Came across this for $65:

http://www.rtboxes.com/chevy-gmc-crewcab-new/

Called the place just to see how much airspace is in the box and what material is used to build it. Guy tells me it is ~ 2 cuft. For the heck of it, I asked him how much airspace they were getting from the ported version. To confirm my fear of ported prefab boxes, he says "it is the same as the sealed box". I asked if it was bigger, and he said no. So I ask him about the port displacement. He lets me know that the port is counted as part of the net volume, because it has air in it. I just said ok.

I also like the 2 humps that allow for deeper mounting subs. They used 1/4" material on the tops of those humps!!! He said those humps are only 3/4" high, so they were able to use thin material on top of them. Huh?? I am going to replace those with flat MDF pieces, since I do not need the extra depth.

Now I start reading about their magic ported boxes. Turns out they are really awesome!!!! :)

"Labyrinth Slot Venting is a form of "porting" on a much higher level verses cutting a hole in a box and dropping in a port tube.

The Labyrinth Design increases the amount of bass your woofer produces without adding any additional power to your system.

As with all porting designs, the Labyrinth opens up the back side of the woofer so more sound can escape from the inside chamber of the box. By utilizing both the "push" and "pull" motion of your sub woofer the design of the enclosure is magnifying the sound of the sub woofer without exterior power added.

However, the porting process can also decrease sound if done improperly. This is done when the enclosure is tuned incorrectly to the ideal requirement of your sub woofer. A simple explanation would be the sound waves traveling from the "pull" of the woofer will cancel out the sound waves firing from the "push" of the woofer. Not only will the sound be adversely effected but continued play will cause permanent damage to the sub woofer.

The design of the Labyrinth Slot Vent brings a controlled sound level increase. By its "MAZE" design, long low frequency sound waves easily escape while short high frequency waves remain trapped unable to cause unwanted cancellation and distortion. In turn, this gives you the listener, loud clean bass a sealed or basic port design can not deliver."

http://www.rtboxes.com/labyrinth-slot-venting/

I also find it interesting that they combined the ports from each side of the box into one port that is the same size as the individual ports coming from each side (at least according to the picture in the link above and looking at some of the box pics on the site).

I ordered the $65 sealed box. It is only 5/8" material, but I figure I will resin the inside and get rid of the 2 humps and it will work for this application - just adding a little bass to the factory setup. I just am worried that I will not be using "both the push and pull motion" of my subwoofers in the sealed box and it might sound funny.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Prefab boxes aren't bad as long as they aren't cubes and squares, most people are too lazy to even go to a library and learn about speakers or how to build a speaker cabinet and miss out on what to do and what not to do when building an enclosure. The biggest problems with prefab ported is the higher tuning and smaller net volume compared to one built by yourself or someone else to a more desired frequency.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

So I really don't feel like building a box right now for my new truck I just bought. Start looking around on the internet for prefab, sealed box to use (I do not trust ported Prefab boxes, but some of the sealed boxes are nice). Came across this for $65:

http://www.rtboxes.com/chevy-gmc-crewcab-new/

Called the place just to see how much airspace is in the box and what material is used to build it. Guy tells me it is ~ 2 cuft. For the heck of it, I asked him how much airspace they were getting from the ported version. To confirm my fear of ported prefab boxes, he says "it is the same as the sealed box". I asked if it was bigger, and he said no. So I ask him about the port displacement. He lets me know that the port is counted as part of the net volume, because it has air in it. I just said ok.

I also like the 2 humps that allow for deeper mounting subs. They used 1/4" material on the tops of those humps!!! He said those humps are only 3/4" high, so they were able to use thin material on top of them. Huh?? I am going to replace those with flat MDF pieces, since I do not need the extra depth.

Now I start reading about their magic ported boxes. Turns out they are really awesome!!!! :)

"Labyrinth Slot Venting is a form of "porting" on a much higher level verses cutting a hole in a box and dropping in a port tube.

The Labyrinth Design increases the amount of bass your woofer produces without adding any additional power to your system.

As with all porting designs, the Labyrinth opens up the back side of the woofer so more sound can escape from the inside chamber of the box. By utilizing both the "push" and "pull" motion of your sub woofer the design of the enclosure is magnifying the sound of the sub woofer without exterior power added.

However, the porting process can also decrease sound if done improperly. This is done when the enclosure is tuned incorrectly to the ideal requirement of your sub woofer. A simple explanation would be the sound waves traveling from the "pull" of the woofer will cancel out the sound waves firing from the "push" of the woofer. Not only will the sound be adversely effected but continued play will cause permanent damage to the sub woofer.

The design of the Labyrinth Slot Vent brings a controlled sound level increase. By its "MAZE" design, long low frequency sound waves easily escape while short high frequency waves remain trapped unable to cause unwanted cancellation and distortion. In turn, this gives you the listener, loud clean bass a sealed or basic port design can not deliver."

http://www.rtboxes.com/labyrinth-slot-venting/

I also find it interesting that they combined the ports from each side of the box into one port that is the same size as the individual ports coming from each side (at least according to the picture in the link above and looking at some of the box pics on the site).

I ordered the $65 sealed box. It is only 5/8" material, but I figure I will resin the inside and get rid of the 2 humps and it will work for this application - just adding a little bass to the factory setup. I just am worried that I will not be using "both the push and pull motion" of my subwoofers in the sealed box and it might sound funny.

rt boxes are pretty good. I thought they went out of business. Tried their GZ series 2-12 enclosure. I misread and thought I was getting a labyrinth vent. But i am not upset. Box sounds great. The vent starts at the front face of the box, runs straight back, and then turns 180 degrees back to the front of the box. a U shape. Box is a little small for the amount of power I have. I listen to rock and metal and it beats pretty good around 40 -50 hz. Put in Rick Ross cd. I was very surprised at the lower bass it picks up. Sub isnt bottoming out. I need more power for that box, but I was planning on upgrading amp anyway. Put 2 HCCA 12's in it. Had to trim the opening to fit.

God damn its hot today. My balls are stuck to my leg.

Please take the subs out and ship them to me, so they can be used in a proper box.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

rt boxes are pretty good. I thought they went out of business. Tried their GZ series 2-12 enclosure. I misread and thought I was getting a labyrinth vent. But i am not upset. Box sounds great. The vent starts at the front face of the box, runs straight back, and then turns 180 degrees back to the front of the box. a U shape. Box is a little small for the amount of power I have. I listen to rock and metal and it beats pretty good around 40 -50 hz. Put in Rick Ross cd. I was very surprised at the lower bass it picks up. Sub isnt bottoming out. I need more power for that box, but I was planning on upgrading amp anyway. Put 2 HCCA 12's in it. Had to trim the opening to fit.

i can almost gaurentee that no prefab boz in the world will be able to hold the hccas. 2 12s will be around 140 pounds worth of wait.for even 1 sub you need double baffel and bracing.

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

I see what you are saying, but how can you guarantee that? Have you seen almost every prefab box in the world? None of the panels are wide enough to need bracing. The center vents act as a brace. Each panel is sitting in a groove that stops it from moving. I have yet to see very many custom boxes where the person took the time to cut a groove for each panel. dado cut? not sure what they call it. RT calls it quadlock construction. My only concern is how the faceplate is attached. Time will tell. If it breaks, I will come back here and tell it. Then you guys can rag on me and say i told you so. I wont be mad.

God damn its hot today. My balls are stuck to my leg.

i can almost gaurentee that no prefab boz in the world will be able to hold the hccas. 2 12s will be around 140 pounds worth of wait.for even 1 sub you need double baffel and bracing.

you dont NEED double baffling if you have proper bracing

2 mayhem 18s are getting down right now with a single baffle and hardwood bracing

Archived