Sonic Electronix

K I have a question I am sure might never have been asked, I have 2 10" subs sealed in a box, I put them inverted so that if they started to smell. I would smell it WAY sooner than it would inside the box. Lately after 45 seconds into every song on full tilt I start to smell my subs, don't know why, gains are right on this amp so I don't know what could be doing it. I thought maybe, where I live, during the morning and night, and some days, it is really really cold, then some times during the day and for long periods of the day, it can get really really hot. Could this have any effect on the pressure inside the box, and how it reacts when the subs try to play. I just took out my subs for a few mins then put them back on, and tried them out again, going above full tilt and not smelling them at all. Anyone think that my hypothesis as to why my subs smell is correct?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Things to consider:

First, inverting means more airspace in the box. Im sure you know what that means. Second, if the box is sealed the smell will tend to stay inside the box.... you won't notice it as quickly. Third, you are supposed to reverse the polarity when you inverse. Just an fyi if you didn't already know.

Edited by rusty959

how do you know the gain is on right? (very awkward wording)

what are the settings on the amp? have you compensated for inverting the subs?

what subs, amplifier, information is key when asking a question like this. and what exactly is the smell? youve been smelling it so theres some serious user error or mismatched equipment.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I know the gains are right because it's my friends amp whos uncle set with a oscope. The smell I smell is sub, I know what it smells, Yes I have my phase set to 180* on my HU settings. The reason why I put them inverted, was so if they did smell, I would notice before it was to late with the smell taking longer to seep out of the box when they are inside. 2 10" JBL GT1000d, alpine MRV-F250 amp 4 channel bridged into 2, running each sub off a seperate channel at 8 ohms. Also yes I know that making my box volume bigger does something, in my case to much of a difference because the subs are small and only inverting so there is not a huge difference. Only difference I noticed when I did the inverting first, was that some songs that used to be just out of my Hz range on the low end could now be hit better.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Have him re scope it than just to be safe. Your settings could clip when his didnt, there are so many variables to consider

Edited by Dan2427

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

I know the gains are right because it's my friends amp whos uncle set with a oscope.

Was the amp in your friends car when he set the gains? Just because it didn't clip it his car doesn't mean it won't clip it your car. And you could have been roasting them the whole time in the sealed box and just not smelled it.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

:( I think many are failing to see that my subs are inverted, thus I can't really fry my subs or roast them, because I will smell it right away. Also feel that not everyone is reading everything, i said they smelled after a while at full tilt, Took them out then put back in, played over full tilt without smelling anything, thus why I am so stuck on that the pressure inside the box from heating and cooling did it.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Things to consider:

First, inverting means more airspace in the box. Im sure you know what that means. Second, if the box is sealed the smell will tend to stay inside the box.... you won't notice it as quickly. Third, you are supposed to reverse the polarity when you inverse. Just an fyi if you didn't already know.

Not entirely true. It makes no difference to the sub what polarity it recieves, it won't hurt it. Sometimes it's better for SQ, but it's application dependent and a whole different topic altogether. He probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

I really don't, honestly, some songs hit harder on a normal phase, some harder on a reversed phase. I just keep it at a reversed phase just because the majority are strong on that.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm