How much does a HU matter? Sony?

I'm on a budget and trying to make the cheapest setup I can. I dont wanna spend more than 100 on a HU. All I need from it is 2 sets of preamp outs and an aux jack. I found this sony unit that seems perfect:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30079_Sony-CDX-GT350MP.html

Has anyone used it. What are your thoughts? Should this be a decent pick or would a more expensive unity really make that big of a difference?

A head unit can make a world of difference in quality, power, and clarity. A head unit with good clean 4V preouts will pretty much always sound better than one with 2V preouts.

I believe it was Boon who said this;

It's kinda about noise rejection... mostly just for induced noise from the RCAs.

Say you're feeding an amp that makes 30v wide open with a 1v signal. The signal has to be 'multiplied' (which is actually what gain is measured in) 30 times.

If you have 100mV of induced noise then when you multiply that 30 times you'll get 3v of noise on your output.

If you feed the same amp with a 6v signal and adjust the gain accordingly then it only has to multiply the input 5 times to reach full output.

So your 100mV of noise only turns into 0.5v at the outputs...

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Thanks guys! My friend ran a sony and it was okay but then again thats the only one i've seen. That Alpine unit looks awesome. Is there any other HU you suggest under 150? maybe between 100-130?

If not I'll try to get the alpine, I wont be able to order it for a few weeks though so I hope the deal will still be there.

I hate Sony headunits with a passion. I look at it as your putting a good amount of money into a system, why skimp on the most important part of you system, the part where the music begins? I stay away from anything without 4v preouts and the names jensen, Sony, jvc, etc. I nicer pioneer or alpine or clarion will give you a much more solid base. You don't need a double din or flip out monitor to have a good headunit.

I was going to get a Sony HU for my build. This one is 99$

Sony gt550ui

I've heard good reviews on it, + it has a USB and AUX port so you should be good.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

Archived