I am wanting to buy a laptop (this will be my 1st one) and really don't know too much about computers. So I decided to come here and ask you guys what would you recommended? I have been looking at samsung sf510 and 900x3a and some Dell ones. If you guys could tell me what is a good one that will last a while that would be great. My budget is between $600-$800. Thanks

Really there's only one manufacture to consider for Laptops. With the highest reliability rating for the last 4 years the often missed Asus. Look for the Bamboo I5... floats for about 899 and is very worth it. 12 Months of Accidental drop/damage/spill.

Asus is the brand that you get what you pay for.

1998 S10

(Custom din.5 frame)

SONY H/U - 1 Din

Memphis EQ - .5 Din

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 220.1 (Dash Plates)

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 220.1 (Door components)

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 500.1 (SVC 4OHM tied at 2OHM to monoblock)

2 10 Inch Polk Competition Subs

2 4/6 Plates

2 6.5 Components

Stock Alternator

IMO the best 3 manufacturers of laptops are Toshiba, HP, and Apple (in that order). That is from personal and work experience over the last 15+ years. The 4 Dells I've had didn't last more than a couple years max and one died 9 days out of warranty, but again when you are talking "cheap" laptops I don't think any of them qualify as reliable. Cheap laptops are viewed as nothing more than a bandaid meaning that in a year or two it's time to move on. If you spend the extra money odds are your laptop will last for years to come. I have 2 Satellites here that are over 10 years old and still work (the one is my firewall). :shrug:

FWIW, I have a Dell laptop thats going on 6 years old and the only thing wrong with it is its slow as shit and the battery has seen better days. All things to be expected with laptops.. The battery charger gave up the ghost after three or so years, but that's a simple replacement. I can't complain about a laptop that lasts six years. Its currently acting as my media server. That thing was a tank. I still wish I had a computer that felt that sturdy. I can't find one. Everyone wants paper thin computers.

I've been screwing with laptops for a while now. I've had many HPs, they always break after 2 years. (My grandmas did aswell.).. Apple makes great laptops, but they're way to pricey. I love Dell. Take a look at the latitudes, studios, and http://computers.sho...=p3286.c0.m282.

Dell mars.

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Screen Size: 15.6 inches

Processor Configuration: Dual Core

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Memory (RAM): 6 GB

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

Hard Drive Capacity: 640 GB

Someone find me a laptop that beats those stats for $629.00

There's more to a computer, especially a laptop, than specs. It doesn't matter if you can get a high end computer for $500 if it craps out on you upon receipt. Build quality goes a long way. To be honest, Apple laptops are fairly expensive, but they hold their value so well, you can justify the purchase by selling the old one and buying a brand new model. Doing that, you can get a new computer for a couple hundred dollars.

That said, Apple has yet to give me a computer that specs out as well as I'd want.

I am wanting to buy a laptop (this will be my 1st one) and really don't know too much about computers. So I decided to come here and ask you guys what would you recommended? I have been looking at samsung sf510 and 900x3a and some Dell ones. If you guys could tell me what is a good one that will last a while that would be great. My budget is between $600-$800. Thanks

Really there's only one manufacture to consider for Laptops. With the highest reliability rating for the last 4 years the often missed Asus. Look for the Bamboo I5... floats for about 899 and is very worth it. 12 Months of Accidental drop/damage/spill.

Asus is the brand that you get what you pay for.

I love my Asus (G53JW), and it definitely was the value leader. But I have no doubt that it will fail before I want it to. I love this computer, and if faced with the decision of paying the 1400 for this one, or the $2000 it would take to get a comparably specced computer with better build quality, I'd buy this one again in a heartbeat.

For example, after a set of Windows Updates, my backlit keyboard stopped being backlit. lolwtf.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

We consistently see the HP's. Dell's and the like be slow upon purchase (Just fast enough to not be noticeable). The asus's are always fast, even after years.

The main problem I have with people who own Asus laptops is they 1: never understand why they can't upgrade the cpu/gpu (You normally never do this on lappys) and they last so long... that they're skewed. 2: Everyone they know wants their laptop but always buy's dell/hp crap from best buy.

When asked what I think about BB laptops I say BUY THEM! buy a lot of them! It keeps me in business.

I sell Asus custom machines, but work on bb's garbage =) :popcorn:

1998 S10

(Custom din.5 frame)

SONY H/U - 1 Din

Memphis EQ - .5 Din

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 220.1 (Dash Plates)

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 220.1 (Door components)

Cerwin Vega Stealth Amp 500.1 (SVC 4OHM tied at 2OHM to monoblock)

2 10 Inch Polk Competition Subs

2 4/6 Plates

2 6.5 Components

Stock Alternator

I may be an apple nut, but I'll never have anything except a Mac. If you're on a budget, look into their refurbished ones, i know of multiple people that have gotten them and been more than satisfied. :drinks:

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have a nice laptop for sale. I just posted it in the FS section.

Intel i3 Acer laptop with blu-ray

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bring back this old topic but I finally saved enough money to buy my laptop this weekend and some have seen some good laptops around on the stores website. I do not know much about laptops and all the tech specs so I was wondering if I can post the link to the laptop and you guys could guide me on what is the best one.

1. Samsung R540

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-15-6-intel-core-i3-380m-laptop-r540-brown-r540/10162495.aspx?path=1f630fe8e2727bf41a1ee7b5d4fa4eaaen02

2. Samsung SF510

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-15-6-intel-core-i3-370m-laptop-np-sf510-s01ca-ivory-sf510/10156298.aspx?path=58b25f60c5f330531921bbf8aba6db44en02

3. Acer Aspire

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-intel-core-i3-370m-laptop-as5742-7698-black-as5742-7698/10155093.aspx?path=d41d5bafe240605d3860156cf246f431en02

4. HP G Series

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-g-series-15-6-intel-core-i3-370m-laptop-g6-1b74ca-pewter-g6-1b74ca/10173931.aspx?path=12704017830016fa4f1e26fafb226582en02

5. HP

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-15-6-intel-core-i3-370m-laptop-g62-354ca-blue-g62-354ca/10155736.aspx?path=d9d296ee32c92407bccea7259f7d76d5en02

6. HP G Series

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-g-series-15-6-intel-core-i3-380m-laptop-g6-1a50ca-pewter-g6-1a50ca/10167599.aspx?path=f4d52585105fa6f07bb3307220c0bcc7en02

7.HP

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-15-6-intel-core-i5-480m-laptop-dv6-3275ca-silver-dv6-3275ca/10173854.aspx?path=3e4b6f6652dcf38d0a27dd58fe7ddd7een02

So what do you guys personally is the best laptop out of those seven?

Edited by Daddy_

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

If the laptop isn't more than $700 it's almost certainly junk. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but this goes back to you get what you pay for. I dunno about Samsung... I would stick to the big boys especially since the smaller guys pay more for their hardware. Definitely stay away from the low end home user lines (low end Pavilions being a prime example) no matter who you go with.

We consistently see the HP's. Dell's and the like be slow upon purchase (Just fast enough to not be noticeable). The asus's are always fast, even after years.

If you leave the crapware on of coarse they are slower, but if you are trying to say that they are just slower when compared to a comparable laptop from Dell, HP, Lev, Toshiba, or the like I honestly think you are a liar (unless you only see $400 laptops then I would have no idea). It's hard to believe anyone that insists on one brand and one brand only. It's like the kids crying about how great OSX is or Windows or Linux or any other bs. There are always options...

I may be an apple nut, but I'll never have anything except a Mac. If you're on a budget, look into their refurbished ones, i know of multiple people that have gotten them and been more than satisfied. :drinks:

Ditto... But for most people they need Windows which takes most of that savings away (I run 7 in Fusion).

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Brands to go with ordered from greatest to least imo: Toshiba, HP (depending the line), Asus, Acer

Brands to stay away from IMO: Dell, Alienware

Between the ones you posted, Id buy the acer since its cheaper. Then I'd buy two 4 gig sticks of ram off newegg for under $60 and sell the stock sticks and recoup a couple dollars. It also has the numeric keypad which none of the HP's seem to have. You'd have a badass computer for very little money.

I also like those samsungs because of their specs and keypads. They also look nice and remind me of a toshiba. But I have no personal experience with samsung computers so hopefully someone else can chime in on those.

Edited by BassJunkie

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.