SMD Distortion Detector Testing and Review!

nothing to do with the DD1 but if you are using the CD to set it and playing music with an Iphone or Itouch there will be distortion. I saw the guy with the crescendo and btls was playing with an Iphone. if you didnt do it, you should of set the gains with the Iphone playing tones. something about the Iphones, the just put out more signal, my car when Itouch > Zune > CD it terms of what was louder on the same deck volume

i second this. i ruined some equipment a while ago due to setting with a CD player and playing with an ipod. i suggest setting everything through the primary listening source, whether it be a cd player, ipod/touch/phone, other mp3 player, usb, etc.

i do believe the ipod i was using was going through the 3.5mm jack through the headunit, if i remember right

nothing to do with the DD1 but if you are using the CD to set it and playing music with an Iphone or Itouch there will be distortion. I saw the guy with the crescendo and btls was playing with an Iphone. if you didnt do it, you should of set the gains with the Iphone playing tones. something about the Iphones, the just put out more signal, my car when Itouch > Zune > CD it terms of what was louder on the same deck volume

maybe ill put this to the test when mine comes in.

yeah I think pretty much all ipods do that cuz my ipod at max volume hooked up to the head unit aux, makes the head unit distort at 30 out of 35, if I put a CD in it distorts at 34 out of 35, I know i still need to get it tested with the DD-1 though.

Its all about signal levels, the jack on your Iphone is a headphone output not a pre-out. There is a larger voltage coming out of it, then would be found on your RCA's. So there is less headroom for your head-deck to amplify the signal, thus the lower volume before clipping.

want to understand a little more? Check this out.

yea.. I know what clipping is.

I'm definitely gonna pick one of these up when they become available! Also, I'm like you twisted, i usually keep my volume around 23-25 on my 3200dvd. Is it safe to say my HU would be the same as yours at 38 being the max? Because if so, i'm gonna adjust some stuff lol..i may wait until i get this unit to be on the safe side though..

2004 Explorer Limited

24" Lexani "pyros" wrapped in 255/30/24 pirelli's

270 Amp MechMan Alt.

(2)Stinger SPP-2150's

(2)Sundown NightShade 15's

IA 40.1

great video twisted - that was like the down-to-earth version of what a pro would have done. Not saying your not a pro lol - just saying, you just proved the regular Joe can set his gains properly in a matter of minutes. How many years do you think everyone on the BLVD (not experts) have been GUESSING when setting gains? All of them. Period. Name me one person on the street that even busted out an O-scope back in the day. Its very rare. I wanna say its even rare that a stereo shop busts an Oscope out...sorry to say that but its true. The higher end ones might but your average neighborhood "beat shop", probably not.

anyway, cheers on the video bro :drinks:

Chit there is a video on youtube form crutchfield saying the best way to set your gains is buy ear. By turning your volume up 3/4 and then turning your gain up until you "hear" distortion hahahaha.

01 2dr ExploderBuild log2 18" DC Level 6's (M3's)DC 10k5 XS d3100's, DC 390 alt100' shok ofc cable

Team ShokTEAM SUB SONIC ADDICTION

gain was all the way down, later in the vid he turns gain up with detector in place.

That makes no sense. think about it if gain is down on amp all the way then you turn up deck till it clips through the amp. then if you adjust amp gain any higher its automaticlly going to be clipped signal right?

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

gain was all the way down, later in the vid he turns gain up with detector in place.

That makes no sense. think about it if gain is down on amp all the way then you turn up deck till it clips through the amp. then if you adjust amp gain any higher its automaticlly going to be clipped signal right?

thats why you test where the deck clips at first....

if you set the max volume unclipped from the deck, then you gain the amp till it starts to distort = you just set the gains

I understand what you are trying to say, and no, it doesnt work that way

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

No, it's just the head unit that is clipping. The distortion light will light up just from the amp receiving a distorted signal, but once you get a clean signal to the amp you will be able to turn up the gain until the output from the amp starts to distort.

lol im lost . i ordered one an will play with it when i get it. ill be exstatic if i see a gain from using it. :drinks: we shall see.

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.