DC Sound Lab

DC lvl 3 10's broken surround

Ok so I bought the pair less than 5 months ago from someone on CACO. Subs were brand new according to seller. The looked and smelled brand new when i got them. Had them powered by an Audioque 1200 amp.

Not very long after they were broken in, found out one of the subs was bottoming out fairly easy. The other one did not have the same issue.

Recently the surround from the one that bottomed out ripped where the cone meets the surround. After closer inspection i noticed both of the subs were cracked all aroun where the surround meets the cone.

I used some epoxy glue as a temporary fix, but i'm more than sure that won't hold for long at all.

Not saying this is DC audio's fault or anything like that. Just wondering what would be the best thing to do. Do i just get a couple of recones and fix them? If i do then will i have the same problem down the road? Should i just send them to David at PSI and have them custom rebuilt? Is there a way to have the surrounds replaced with ones that won't crack or tear?

Basically what do i do now?

I just ordered a couple of Shhhhdown SA 10's because i really don't know what i should do about this. DC audio is still FTW. Just not in my case lol

XS Power 3400 (main)

XS Power 5100R x2 (rear)

XS Power XS flex 1/0

Stock deck (for now)

Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 (temp)

4 Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5s

Digital Designs M2a

2 Sundown Audio SA 10's

variable tuning (24/35/43)

Here are some pics of the one that actually ripped. The other one looks the same, crappy glue job minus the tore surround. I know i should have got better glue but u know how it goes. Just wanted to do a quick fix.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Considering one sub bottoms out i suppose the best thing would be to recone both.

XS Power 3400 (main)

XS Power 5100R x2 (rear)

XS Power XS flex 1/0

Stock deck (for now)

Digital Designs M2a

2 Sundown Audio SA 10's

Box is 2.4 ft3 after disp, shared airspace and tuned to 33hz. Subs are the same distance from the two 3" aero ports. Subs reach the most excursion on higher notes, rather than below tuning notes.

I do like to play my music loud and for extended periods at times. Setup can reach 140 db tested MECA style AS3 class. I thought these subs could handle 600-700w rms

XS Power 3400 (main)

XS Power 5100R x2 (rear)

XS Power XS flex 1/0

Stock deck (for now)

Digital Designs M2a

2 Sundown Audio SA 10's

are you sure those are level 3s? the level 3s i had the surround went right to the dustcap and was bigger then that, to fix your issue make your box smaller

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

are you sure those are level 3s? the level 3s i had the surround went right to the dustcap and was bigger then that, to fix your issue make your box smaller

maybe your lvl 3s are older than his? on the website the lvl 3s look like the ones in his pictures.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360