Second Skin Audio

Final box plans. Double check.

It wont let me down load it. I'm still really confuse. Could you figure me up a port

I'll explain for you mate :)

Multiply HxW. This will give you overall port area (ex 5Hx5W=25sqin of port). Then divide by the net volume of your enclosure, (ex 25sqin of port/ 5cube box= 5sqin per cube)

:drinks:

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

1 solo x or 2? What is the port size/area per foot?

One sub. Port is 3x15 15deep

The port should be at least 6x15 and then however deep you need it to get your tuning. The small problem is that in that scenario your box may be becoming TOO small. But maybe not. Try it and see what happens

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

VentedSUV (TheOneToDo)

10 ft3 (283L) + port displacement, Fb=35Hz

Port: 150 in2 (968cm2) area x 21” (53.3cm) long

Power Handling = 4500W Peak

15sq.in per ft^3

VentedCompact (MinimumEnclosureVolume)

5 ft3 (142L) + port displacement, Fb=35Hz

Port: 60 in2 (387cm2) area x 14.5” (36.8cm) long

Power Handling = 5000W Peak

12sq.in per ft^3

VentedSPL (MaximumEnclosureVolume)

10 ft3 (283L) + port displacement, Fb=56Hz

Port: 300 in2 (1935cm2) area x 9” (22.9cm) long

Power Handling = 10000W Peak above 56Hz

30sq.in per ft^3

That should give you an idea. Your box is 5.702Ft^3 with a 8.9sq.in. So yes, it a little on the small side.

A large volume of air pushed through a relatively small opening may generate turbulence, or a chuffing sound.

A small port, although it does not have to be very long, must move a lot of air through a very small opening. This make turbulence more of a difficult thing to cope with. But, it also makes for a more non-linear resistance to air movement. In other words, as output increases, the resistance to air flow increases, and the benefits of a port decrease, making the output look more like a leaky sealed system. The larger the port, the less it happens, but the characteristic is always there.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

sigh... people telling other people what they NEED when they have no clue what they're talking about them selves... op, gimmie the t/s specs of the sub and i'll tell you if thats enough port area.

im sure the port is too small, but you dont need 12-18 in^2, that all depends on how much xmax the sub has, how big the box is, and the t/s specs.

the last box i built had 5 in^2 of port per square foot and i didnt have a single noise issue.

I can assure you I know what I'm talking about. 5in^2 per cube must have been aeros, otherwise I have not one idea how you didn't get port noise. 12-18 is as a general rule safe area, I prefer to stay between 14-16. If he has BassBoxPro he already has access to all the t/s specs for the sub as they are preloaded in the program. The Solo X will NEED that much port area.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm just still trying to digest it :P

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

I can assure you I know what I'm talking about. 5in^2 per cube must have been aeros, otherwise I have not one idea how you didn't get port noise. 12-18 is as a general rule safe area, I prefer to stay between 14-16. If he has BassBoxPro he already has access to all the t/s specs for the sub as they are preloaded in the program. The Solo X will NEED that much port area.

box volume has almost nothing to do with the amount of port area you need.

the woofers, power, and tuning frequency do.

I hate it when people generalise and say "you need this much port area for this box volume"

no, you don't!

What size port would you reccomend then. I'm only giving it 1500rms for now.

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

box volume has almost nothing to do with the amount of port area you need.

the woofers, power, and tuning frequency do.

I hate it when people generalise and say "you need this much port area for this box volume"

no, you don't!

I didn't necessarily say it needed it because of box volume, I said that sub needs that much. I also said as a general rule I prefer to stay between 14-16 for normal boxes, not every application obviously some like more, some like less it's just a good baseline. My original post was telling him to get it closer to there then the 8in^2 per cube he had before hand. Skylar is the one who assumed I had no idea what I was doing and used that for every box I build, which is untrue.

I've also never seen anyone use 5 in^2 without using aeros without noise, not saying it hasn't been done, I just haven't seen it and can't imagine it.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Would someone just design me a port so bolt in the top please? I'm still confused. Thanks for trying to help guys :shrug:

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build: