Second Skin Audio

Basic Twin Subwoofer Design

Building my first box soon, ive made it to the dimensions of my boot.

I read that for 2 12" subwoofers i need around 6 cubic foot inside the box, and that i should design it slightly more to compensate for everything that goes inside the box.

So i designed the size of the box to start with about 7.5 cubic foot.

Does it look about right?

subwooferenclosure.jpg

How many cubes is it after displacements? What will it be tuned to? How much port area do you have, and finally what vehicle is this going in? :)

The basic design looks great :)

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Going to have flow issues with that port. gimmie your box dimensions and the subs you're using, ill design you a box.

im not on here too often, so best to drop a line here.

http://www.facebook.com/skylar.dunn1

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

Yeah I'm thinking that 3cubes a piece is going to be too much, and go with a different design as stated ^^^

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Not sure what it is after displacement, didn't have enough time to work it out after doing it before I had to go out. But would I be right in guessing I've just gotta times the width by height by length for each subwoofer section, convert then to cubes and then add the two together.

At the moment it's not tuned to anything in particular, it's just the rough design of how it looks. Still trying to work out how to use the box tuning app, so haven't worked out yet how to find what it'll be tune to.

Not sure what the size of the port area is, will measure it when I get home.

And it's going to be in a Volkswagon Golf Mk3.

These subs don't say they need 3 cubes each, but I read a guide on the Internet that said 12's need roughly 2.5 - 3 cubes each.

I'm using this subwoofer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260794234103&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Will give you the box sizes when I get home as I don't have anything on me.

Edited by Migz

Like I said though, it's my first box and I'm still getting to grips with trying to work out how big the box need to be, what size the port needs to be, working out the internal size and such.

Also forgot to mention the subs I'm putting in are cheap knock off Sony xplod which I would never usually buy but my friend has one and gives some pretty decent bass for £20. So I thought for my first box don't want to spend lots of money on great subs when it's just going to sound shit. Rather spend a tiny bit on good subs and save the money for next time.

Edited by Migz

Going to have flow issues with that port. gimmie your box dimensions and the subs you're using, ill design you a box.

im not on here too often, so best to drop a line here.

http://www.facebook.com/skylar.dunn1

whats wrong with that box? its an extremely common design. I've used it myself in the past and it worked great.

These subs don't say they need 3 cubes each, but I read a guide on the Internet that said 12's need roughly 2.5 - 3 cubes each.

3 cubes is pretty big for 12"s. 2 cubes usually works great and it's what i would recommend.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.