*no longer* concerned about the car

I had the starter replaced in my Caddy a while back. Sometimes it would fire right up, sometimes it wouldn't start til after a few times turning the key, sometimes I had to hold the key to the ON position for like 5 secs before it slowly started up, worst times (right in the drive way of a GM dealership) it wouldn't start for over 10 min then all of a sudden it fired right up. Had the starter replaced at a shop and it was instantly fixed.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

thats pretty much what Im doing :drinks: ...at the moment, I have the intake and battery out to gain access to the starter. just picked up a new one at advanced for 120 bucks and 30 bucks in tools (a lot of my tools are at work). all I gotta do is get one more bolt in the back out and the old starter will come out.

I also found the starter relay under the dash (damn thats a big bastard!) and it clicks everytime I try and turn the key so Im guessing its working (based on the command wire getting power too). Im waiting for it to cool off a little outside first and then Ill finish up.

thanks again for everyones help! I just started a new job and Im still a trainee in auto glass. last thing I want is them to think I don't have reliable transportation.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

thats pretty much what Im doing :drinks: ...at the moment, I have the intake and battery out to gain access to the starter. just picked up a new one at advanced for 120 bucks and 30 bucks in tools (a lot of my tools are at work). all I gotta do is get one more bolt in the back out and the old starter will come out.

I also found the starter relay under the dash (damn thats a big bastard!) and it clicks everytime I try and turn the key so Im guessing its working (based on the command wire getting power too). Im waiting for it to cool off a little outside first and then Ill finish up.

thanks again for everyones help! I just started a new job and Im still a trainee in auto glass. last thing I want is them to think I don't have reliable transportation.

You sure that isn't the main relay I mentioned earlier? Starter relays on the older ones are usually smallish compared to the main relay. Also, just because it's clicking doesn't mean it's working. IIRC you can google the resistance across it and check it with a DMM.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

You sure that isn't the main relay I mentioned earlier? Starter relays on the older ones are usually smallish compared to the main relay. Also, just because it's clicking doesn't mean it's working. IIRC you can google the resistance across it and check it with a DMM.

its a distinct possibility that it is the main relay....rockauto calls it the starter relay but autozone calls it the main relay...they both look alike though. since Im getting voltage at the command line, I figured its probably doing its job; that along with the jumper wire test where the starter didn't do anything. I still have tomorrow, so Ill throw the starter in tonight and see....pray that it starts.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Good luck to you bro

This past Tuesday I had my rear right wheel speed sensor fail on me, the whole hub needed to be replaced. $370 bucks. For a while now I've been experiencing a lack of power and finally this past Thursday it got even worse and I barely had power when I hit the gas unless I punched it. Full tune up was done, $600, plugs/wires, gas & air filter and PCV valve. Got it back ran fine for about 5 hours til I started getting weird RPM bouncing when trying to hold speed @ 58mph then a surge like its getting pushed from the back when its shifting. P0101, MAF Performance Sensor. Reset the codes through my dash and it went away til last night, did the same thing and it drives fine. I'm guessing its gonna happen again tonight while on the freeway :(, $145 for a new MAF housing/sensor from RockAuto, this I need to do myself. I hate having car troubles!

2015 Mazda 6

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

not to threadjack....

wonderbread, your problem sounds EXACTALLY like what i went through. Mine was a bad throttle body, smog pump, egr valve, fuel filter, spark plugs (they were original and had 103k on them so im not complaining), a bad O2 sensor, and a coil boot for one of my plugs. I had it replaced and it never happened again.

My problem was that the rpm would go up and down about 300 rpm's and my voltage would drop 2 volts. Turns out that the smog pump caused the voltage drop as the motor wouldnt spin around and was drawing a ton of power. The rpm issue was with the fuel filter and throttle body malfunctioning. The filter was clogged up (also oem) and the throttlebody was shorting out internally. I had them do a full tune up while they were at it and its great. I also had a somewhat clogged catalytic converter but they ran cleaner in my gas and it fixed that problem.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Yeah they originally thought it was my cat being clogged, they did the above and it runs beautifully now, I got the power back (didn't realize how much power I had lost) and the shifts are super smooth. Its just that occasional MAF problem, RPMs bounce around by 300 too when trying to hold it around 2k rpm. Hopefully replacing the housing should do the trick. They said my plugs were caked, especially cylinder 4, and I only had like 30-40k on them (AC Delco Platinums, only ones you can use on N*)

2015 Mazda 6

Mine were dirty but one had a very large gap and i have iridium ac delco plugs that last 100k before you need to change them. This time i put in some champion spark plugs that you should change around 50k (i will prob do it sooner tho)

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

IT LIVES!! changed out the starter; while I had it out I sanded the engine ground too...the old starter had alot of grease built up in the little notch on the bottom, I imagine thats what its there for.

thanks a lot again to everyone who gave there advice!! Im glad I can drive it back to work on monday...now for some beer! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Woot!! Good job bro, glad you figured it out and fixed it.

Archived