just curious any1 know if gateway's laptops are good i know my desktop has lasted me about 7 years with no problems and i also have an older one yet that still works my mom bought a dell it would make a gr8 door stop now yet she still uses it

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6420/pd?oc=blct64s4ds&model_id=latitude-e6420

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4600/pd?oc=bwct74b&model_id=precision-m4600

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/index.html (I'd buy a ThinkPad.)

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=t98Q7EN5mSEAAAEvmqht8LIC&CatalogCategoryID=

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=.uwQ7EN5djsAAAEv.adt8LIC&CatalogCategoryID=

I'm assuming you don't want a 17 inch?

just curious any1 know if gateway's laptops are good i know my desktop has lasted me about 7 years with no problems and i also have an older one yet that still works my mom bought a dell it would make a gr8 door stop now yet she still uses it

I know Gateway used to be solid. I absolutely loved mine, even after the power plug came desoldered from the board, and you had to wedge something underneath it for it to maintain contact enough to charge. Then a year and a half after that it finally shorted out and I had to replace it. This is after owning the computer for almost four years. It was time to replace it anyway. Before that, we were a 100% Gateway household. But by the time it came around to replace my computer, Acer had bought them, and I'm no fan of Acer.

I don't know how they are now that Acer bought them out. I don't know how long Acer computers will last, but I do know I didn't like the feel of the couple I've laid hands on. Really cheap plastic. I also know they are supposed to be making an attempt to push themselves upmarket, but :shrug:.

To be fair, I have never owned an Acer. I've only used a couple my uncles had.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Does anyone here realize that HP has one of the highest failure rates of all laptop brands?

That is due to people buying their junk line in droves. Their higher end stuff doesn't suffer from the same failure rates. If it did we would have one a week dying. I haven't seen an Elitebook yet take a crap unless it was dropped. That by no means says that you won't have issues, but then again both of my co-workers MB's died after 18-22 months and mine is still fine. :pardon:

As a general rule you get what you pay for which is why the laptop manufacturers that don't have many sales in the junk laptop/netboot market have better scores.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Well I placed my order, should be here Tuesday.

I spent a good 12-14 more hours looking at everything, comparing stuff over and over. After asking a few more friends and getting close to the same response from them I pulled the trigger.

What did I go with? A Toshiba P775-S7234.

It seem to fit most of my criteria. Good resolution, strong wireless, good battery life (I can get a 12 cell if need be), i5 processor, and the real kicker is the numeric key pad. I tried out a few laptops that didn't have one and that was not fun. I use the 10 key all the time, didn't realize that until I didn't have one to use. lol

Thanks again for all of the help guys and gals, really appreciate it. Hopefully it'll perform as well as everyone keeps telling me. Fingers crossed!

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Good choice. Toshiba's are rock solid computers and their customer service rocks.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Well after spending the morning removing all of the crap that came loaded on here (NetZero? Seriously?!), I'm loving it.

And I'm totally glad I didn't cheap out and go with one that has less than this. Still need to get use to the keyboard (tiny ass spacebar) but all in all very happy.

Thanks again for all the input everyone!

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

If this is built as well as my uncle's, you shouldn't have a problem. He is a truck driver ans his have lasted for four+ years.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert