Second Skin Audio

RE SEx 12s 2ohm vs Z1a

Just wondering if anyone thinks this setup im thinking of making is a bit crazy? I just bought 2 12"RE audio SEx dual 2ohm subs for a new setup only thing is i have a DD Z1a amp and was thinking of hooking them up to it. Now the subs SAY they can handle 2000watts but ive never delt with RE befor so i just donno how well they will go with the amp, Im worried ill kill the subs putting that much power through them. Anyone have any advice on the matter?

Those subs are 600rms each.

Thats true but on the box it says "Up to 2000watts power handling" So thats why im a little paranoid as to how much power i can actually give them, I pretty much want to give them as much as they can take/handle.

Thats true but on the box it says "Up to 2000watts power handling" So thats why im a little paranoid as to how much power i can actually give them, I pretty much want to give them as much as they can take/handle.

2000 watts peak power handling, don't go by that, go by the rms rating which is 600rms, that's the amount of continuous power they can take, you need to wire that amp to two ohms which is a combination of series-parallel.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

2000 watts peak power handling, don't go by that, go by the rms rating which is 600rms, that's the amount of continuous power they can take, you need to wire that amp to two ohms which is a combination of series-parallel.

Yeh i was planing to wire the subs down to 2ohm to the amp via series-parallel. As for the 600rms im guessing the bottom line is that Z1a is just WAY over kill and i should use somthing like a DDM2(1700watt) or DDM3(2400watt) amp?

Ok, I have these same subs on my sundown 3k at .5 ohms. Granted they arent getting a full 3k watts though. But if you are going to try to throw 1k to each one, then your going to need to make the box smaller to be able to control the cone and not bottom them out. I'm running a box that is 3 cubes with 48 inches of port area tuned to 33 hz. But i have to put this in there, I don't listen to it full volume though. I only have it full volume for no more than 2 minutes at a time, and even then they got extremely hot afterward and smelt. So BE CAREFULL.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

you can never have too much power.

if it were me, I'd be running it at half ohm daily.

we're not all stupid..

To the OP, 2000w each is too much.

You only have to look at RMS from woofers, never at peak ratings, those are useless.

600 each will be much better and 600 each is perfect, they don't need more.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.