Sonic Electronix

The old school installers have always told me when mounting a speaker in an enclosure, you want to cut away the material behind it so the speaker has full contact to a flat surface for a better seal. For example in my truck: img0483ry.jpg

Ive also heard the opposite argument, which is a speaker against the fabric would give it a better seal.

Whats everyones take on this? (personally i feel both are just fine and minor minor details.)

MECP MASTER CEA208509

Proud employee of Alarms, ETC in lakeland, FL

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

Mine have always been cut away, but I'm not sure if not cutting it away would make a difference. Maybe fecupe has/will test this and check the results

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

doesnt every sub that is produced now-a-days have a gasket that goes around the entire mounting lip so you dont need to do these sort of things?

doesnt every sub that is produced now-a-days have a gasket that goes around the entire mounting lip so you dont need to do these sort of things?

Yea they usually come with that single-sided tape/foam gasket that you put around the opening.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

The gto804s my dad has don't. :shrug:

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

I dont think it makes much of a difference. The time its a problem is if you can hear/feel a leak around the gasket.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Yea they usually come with that single-sided tape/foam gasket that you put around the opening.

no not that, im talking about the rubber gasket that wraps around the 3 sides of an exposed lip. note every one of DC's woofers has this, http://dcsoundlab.com/woofers.html

I see what you're talking about... Most of the newer subs do have that surround, but both of my last sets of subs came with the foam tape, and those were my Alpine Type R's and my Pioneer Premiers.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Archived