Sonic Electronix

not all tweeter have a on/off axis setting. positive and negative

I realize that, tweeters NEVER have an on and off axis setting written on them since they are intended to be setup ON AXIS (as i previously stated, means positive to positive, negative to negative) Now if you have it wired like that with a crossover that DOES have the axis setting switch, then you can switch it on the fly by flipping the switch. If you DIDNT you can simply reverse the wires on the tweeter so that the negative wire connects to the positive terminal on your tweeter. Re read what i posted before and try to understand it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I realize that, tweeters NEVER have an on and off axis setting written on them since they are intended to be setup ON AXIS (as i previously stated, means positive to positive, negative to negative) Now if you have it wired like that with a crossover that DOES have the axis setting switch, then you can switch it on the fly by flipping the switch. If you DIDNT you can simply reverse the wires on the tweeter so that the negative wire connects to the positive terminal on your tweeter. Re read what i posted before and try to understand it.

please stop posting.

now, as for on or off axis, you have to try it for yourself, see what way you like the sound of the tweeters the best, some people have them pointing at the front window to increase stage depth and width as well as to effect frequency response, others may have them facing at opposite side headrests, or even at the centre console.

it all depends entirely on your gear, setup, and car, you may even end up with each tweeter facing very different directions

if you're not overly concerned about SQ, I'd just be facing them at the opposite side headrests.

changing the phase of the tweeters will effect the sound slightly, and effect the frequency response where the tweeter crosses over to the mid, but it has nothing to do with on or off axis.

Edited by TheyDontWantMusic

please stop posting.

now, as for on or off axis, you have to try it for yourself, see what way you like the sound of the tweeters the best, some people have them pointing at the front window to increase stage depth and width as well as to effect frequency response, others may have them facing at opposite side headrests, or even at the centre console.

it all depends entirely on your gear, setup, and car, you may even end up with each tweeter facing very different directions

if you're not overly concerned about SQ, I'd just be facing them at the opposite side headrests.

changing the phase of the tweeters will effect the sound slightly, and effect the frequency response where the tweeter crosses over to the mid, but it has nothing to do with on or off axis.

why dont you read this: http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/

phase is just a matter of you swapping positive and negative wires around, THATS IT. nothing more, nothing less. An easy way to tell if its all in phase (wouldnt do it on tweeters tho for risk of blowing the coil) is to take a small battery for a split second and touching it on the leads of the speaker. The cone will slightly move to one direction since you are applying a DC signal to it. Dont do this for longer than a second or two tho. Then what you can do is to perform the same test to all your speakers to make sure the speakers move in the same direction when the battery is powered to the speaker. For example take a AA battery and connect the positive of the battery to the positive of your speaker, then take the negative of the battery to the negative of your speaker, when you apply the power and complete the circuit the cone will travel one way, either down to the motor or up toward you. Note which way it moves and once you figure if it moves inwards or outwards perform the same test to all your other speakers to see if any of them change directions. If they do, just reverse the polarity of the wires to make it back to the same phase you figured out earlier.

Now you dont have to worry about the phasing affect if your equipment is all setup correctly, positive to positive, negative to negative. But as previously mentioned for some reason idgaf to know your tweeter phase means a lot. If your tweeters are not directed to you set the phase switch to off, if they are directed to you, set the phase to on. Your mids you dont need to have a concern about the phase as long as you wired them up correctly.

I have done a lot of reading up on this and it doesnt affect the sound response as long as you have everything set to the right phase. For example if you have a tweeter hooked up correctly but another one has the reverse polarity, you WILL lose some frequency response as they will cancel eachother out. To better explain this, if you play a frequency, lets say 1KHz and make it a mono track, and the sine wave of your left tweeter at any given moment is at the top, now your right tweeters wave at that same time is at the bottom, they will cancel eachother out to make it a totally flat response. This means one of your tweeters is out of phase and just needs you to swap the wires around. If they are in phase you will not have any cancellation as they are working in sync with eachother and at the same time one wave is at the high peak of its run, the other speaker will also be at the high peak of the freq run.

Its not too hard to understand, just set your tweeter to off phase on your crossover if it isnt aimed to your head, or set the tweeter phase to on if they are aimed toward you, simple as that.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

So what should he do if he has a variable phase knob on the amp?

On axis is exactly what it means, both speakers pointed to your ears.

Off axis are tweeters pointed to a point that it can not be heard directly by the ear but rather bounced off the interior, it can be 40 degrees or more off axis depending on severity of harshness.

Wiring on and off phase are 0 and 180 and are mainly used for timing purposes or correcting other things going on, i'm in no way as knowledgeable as some others but there is a bit of misinformation here.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

So what should he do if he has a variable phase knob on the amp?

On axis is exactly what it means, both speakers pointed to your ears.

Off axis are tweeters pointed to a point that it can not be heard directly by the ear but rather bounced off the interior, it can be 40 degrees or more off axis depending on severity of harshness.

Wiring on and off phase are 0 and 180 and are mainly used for timing purposes or correcting other things going on, i'm in no way as knowledgeable as some others but there is a bit of misinformation here.

You sir nailed it on the head. The knobs on amps are made to adjust it if you bounce them off something or are at a certain angle from your ears, for example if they are right infront of your face, and are directly flush with your ears then the phase knob should be at 0. If the tweeters are turned lets say 30 degrees from your ears, then you would set the knob to 30 degrees. This is ONLY for amps with a phase knob. In case of a passive crossover with a on and off axis, it is just reversing the polarity of the speaker completely. This is considered to be a full 180 degree phase.