Second Skin Audio

Port vs Passive Radiator

Ok guys. Referring to my "IHaveADream" build of Dual SMD 18s... I have an idea of using 2 18 inch PRs which would be mounted under (or over) the 18in subs. The PRs would be used instead of incorporating a port. I also like the idea for the WOW factor. The untrained eye/ear will think that there are 4 monstrous subwoofers. I have to do more research myself but what are your thoughts?

check out steves towers. he used smd's with 2 passive radiators per sub

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

Are your goals to get loud or just a "wow factor"?

I think a port would get louder.

And if you were going to do 4 subs, (2 working and 2 passive.) My not just get 4 working subs and be even louder?

90% of the people you meet wont have a clue what a passive radiator is and will just go "Wow it looks loud"

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

ive always thought passive radiators were primarily for home theater use because the enclosure could be much smaller then the equivalently tuned ported enclosure. im not sure how this would work in a car. and generally you want twice the cone area for the passive radiator vs the subwoofer. so you would be looking at 2 pr's per sub.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

ive always thought passive radiators were primarily for home theater use because the enclosure could be much smaller then the equivalently tuned ported enclosure. im not sure how this would work in a car. and generally you want twice the cone area for the passive radiator vs the subwoofer. so you would be looking at 2 pr's per sub.

no the enclosure needs to be the same size, but there are instances where you need to tune a fairly small enclosure fairly low, with a pretty big port, which won't fit in the enclosure.

the Peerless XLS 12inch subwoofer for example.

I'd put it in about 1.8cuft, tuned to 25Hz or lower, the problem is this means for a 4inch diameter port, it needs to be 28inches long.