SQ from large sub woofers ???

Fish Chris

Okay, first off, I'm about a 60% SQ, 40% SPL kind of guy.

I've been running two 12"s in an optimal ported enclosure for about 3 years, and they have been very musical, and pretty darn clean... until I start really over-driving the $#!+ out of them, on one of my bass head kind of days ;) LOL And now, I've finally damaged the spiders on at least one of them. So, time for something new.

I've decided to go with "at least" two 15"s.... but maybe even one 18" Fi Q.

But I'm concerned about the response time (tightness, cleanness, however you want to put it) of an 18" sub, vs smaller 10" or 12" subs ? I know, I know, everybody always says, it has "everything to do with your enclosure" right ? Well I know how to build enclosures, spot freaking on, to manufacturers specs / recommendations. That won't be an issue.

I'm just talking about the straight up physics of the moving of mass. I mean, an 18" sub has a much heavier cone to move. So, can it possibly be as quick, and responsive, as a smaller lighter sub woofer ?

I'm very confident that an 18" Fi Q, set up optimumly, will move massive air, and be great for my techno bass tracks.... but will it be able to play normal, slightly higher frequency bass, for rock, alternative, etc, and still sound great doing it ?

Hmmmmm....

Looking for some of you SQ guys thoughts on this,

Thanks,

Fish

My SQ Sub's (4 10s isoberic) enclosure is tuned to 22 htz for optomized music reproduction ... and really jams when you get down on it too ...

Guess my question would be ... are those "Larger" subs able to tune down that low ?? :shrug:

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

And 22hz "feels" freaking awesome, although it's pretty hard to hear :)

I dunno'.... I'd be happy if my subs could get down to 25hz, and be relatively flat from 28hz up to 80hz.

The Fi Q 18" is recommended to be port tuned to 28hz.

But again (and I'm just not sure how this all inter-relates) I'm mostly concerned with how a big sub woofer will play "higher" bass frequencies. That, and how quickly the sub can recover... tightness, snappiness....

Fish

My SQ Sub's (4 10s isoberic) enclosure is tuned to 22 htz for optomized music reproduction ... and really jams when you get down on it too ...

Guess my question would be ... are those "Larger" subs able to tune down that low ?? :shrug:

your talking about transients. a larger sub would likely have a harder time stopping on a dime. i dont think it will matter a whole lot at low volumes. then when you turn it up, well who cares about SQ then.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Depends on the moving mass and motor force of the sub, once you get above 12" they don't do as well as the smaller subs cause of the weight of the moving parts and not the actual size of the sub. 12" is usually the jack of all trades in sub sizes cause of all the many different options your afforded.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Thank you guys.

Yea, not only the extra $$$, but also, I'm kind of locked into my power situation with my RF Power 1000 5 ch. Great amp, but it kind of puts all my eggs in one basket. So, it makes 760 wts RMS into 2 ohms, and 935wts into 1 ohm, on the sub channel. I just don't think that would really be enough juice to make two Fi Q 15"s shine.

Now, 760-935wts RMS all to one Fi Q 18", would be getting closer to what it's designed for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just have about 12 hours to decide if I'm going to keep the Dayton 15" HO (the first of two) that will arive here tomorrow..... Or, send it back with FedEx, and order the 18" Fi Q ???

Hmmmm,

Fish

You have the room, why not 2 15 Q´s, double motorforce more conearea.

thats also a couple hundred more dollars for the second sub.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived