SQ from large sub woofers ???

Fish Chris

your talking about transients. a larger sub would likely have a harder time stopping on a dime. i dont think it will matter a whole lot at low volumes. then when you turn it up, well who cares about SQ then.

I couldn't disagree more.

If a large driver has a hard time keeping up with the music, then your setup is all wrong. Lets look at it this way. what is the size of a kick drum? 18-24" Now if a Kick drum can reproduce a solid, tight double beat kick, then an 18" driver should too. My 18's have zero issues with keeping up with any double bass, and still play down to 18hz no problem.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I vaguely remember back in the day that amplifiers damping factor is it's ability to tightly control cone movement. I rarely see this spec on any amps nowadays (sometimes on Soundstream gear) but does this mean anything to the OP? I know he's not planning to change amps but is this even a factor?

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I agree with kingsuv.

A larger speaker does not have to move as far and I've always thought an 18" playing well within its thermal and mechanical limits and in the proper enclosure sounds much cleaner than a smaller driver that will have to be at the limits of its ability to keep up. But then again, I am a fan of stupid big woofers anyways so there is a bias.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

My 18s now sound tighter and more realistic on bass drums than my RE SEs or the polk MOMO 12s i had before that did. obiously it doesnt apply to all music types youll be listening to but often when people describe SQ they talk about wanting everything to sound like you are at a live concert or performance. Every concert i have been to bass is produced by 18" or larger drivers. Yes they are more PA drivers but are still the same size, so to me this goes to showing how an 18 can still sound good and punchy like a smaller driver

Team NorthWestSPL

the Q is an sql driver which means its a musical sub but can get loud just make sure your enclosure has a flat response so all bass notes sound equally loud not just within the tuning the 18 should have no problem playing music accurately enough for your music tastes

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

my 15's i had in a sealed box sounded killer on all freq's but the back pressure helped the cone recover, a ported box could be different

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

my 15's i had in a sealed box sounded killer on all freq's but the back pressure helped the cone recover, a ported box could be different

Depending on frequency a ported box will actually provide more back pressure than a sealed box.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I agree with a lot of what tacomabanga said. It is possible for larger woofers to be clean and tight in the right enclosure. Back in oh 94-95 I had two Kicker competition gold letters in a sealed box that I built to Stillwater specs. Every note on Metalica and Pantera was clearly defined and not muddy at all switch over to Dire Straits and the bass line was warm an inviting like you were in a small concert hall. Switch to rap or bass music and it pounded with the best of them. I then switched out in late 95 to four Lanzar Cast Pro 12's in a half diamond power wedge and no question it was much louder(I built it for SPL) but it did not have near the clarity of the 15 set up. So in the right enclosure a 15 or 18 or a pair can have more clarity than smaller drivers it is all about the enclosure and within reason the speaker.

Barstad

your talking about transients. a larger sub would likely have a harder time stopping on a dime. i dont think it will matter a whole lot at low volumes. then when you turn it up, well who cares about SQ then.

If a large driver has a hard time keeping up with the music, then your setup is all wrong. Lets look at it this way. what is the size of a kick drum? 18-24" Now if a Kick drum can reproduce a solid, tight double beat kick, then an 18" driver should too. My 18's have zero issues with keeping up with any double bass, and still play down to 18hz no problem.

now hang on a minute. that 18-24" bass drum also only moves what 1mm? .5mm? of course it is going to be tight.

sure the size is comparable but the movement is not

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

you really cant compare the thin, tight face of a drum to a heavier paper cone with a bunch of copper hanging off it. make that drum face weigh as much as your 18" subwoofer, then see how it performs.

but either way, i said it will likely have a harder time. not that it will always or that its impossible to make an 18" sound good.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived