Sundown Audio

Power But No Sound

Monergist

One quick question, was the XS D3100 installed by the shop owner or you?

Cmon so who the hell put the damn steel straps on again?! no offense but someone didnt learn from this.

The shop only carries Kinetik, but I wanted a D3100. They convinced me to try the Kinetik, and since I didn't have the material to install it, they put it in. I got my D3100 a week later, and I brought my car back to them so they could take their battery back, and they threw the D3100 in for me while they were at it. There was nothing to learn from since nothing had happened while I had the Kinetik. And again, I never took the time to think about it, so I'm just as retarded as the shop.. Then again, I can understand where they might have got the concept, since a lot of vehicles use a metal bar to secure the main battery under the hood.

Do retards work at that shop? Seriously, that is really fucking stupid. I would have never left the shop with it looking like that. They did the install, but its your fault, OP, for accepting it that way and driving off.

Can't argue with that.

The owner wasn't at the shop yesterday, so I'll check back today.

I also sent my 2 channel in for repair. Tap no longer does car audio so we had to ship it out.

Battery is still holding a charge, and there aren't any leaks. I emailed Nathan about it. I'll let you guys know what he says. I might find a way to cover the melted plastic. The more I looked at it today, it's actually not all that bad.

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

If i were you, idc how well the battery held a charge or passed a load test. The matter is that the battery melted and has a risk of cracking the case now if it is shocked or bumped and that can be dangerous. Granted these batteries wont leak acid if something touches them and the case cracks, it will start another fire.

Buy a new D3100 battery, fix those crappy terminals you use for your wiring by cutting them right and soldering them on, and brace the battery the RIGHT way.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Nathan said the same thing about doing a load test. He also said that the internals are no longer pressurized so it might not last.

Buy a new D3100 battery, fix those crappy terminals you use for your wiring by cutting them right and soldering them on, and brace the battery the RIGHT way.

New wire and terminals on the way, but new battery wont be in the making for a few weeks..

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

Thats good you are getting a new battery. What you could do if you wanted it to look good is to make a little hold down for around the SIDES of the battery out of 2x2 boards or maybe even 2x4's and then carpet it with carpeting from your enclosure. I did the same thing but for the 2x2's i used on each of my amps to raise them up above the box so they can breathe and i carpeted them with the left over pieces from my carpeting. It turned out great for me and i didnt glue any of them down, i just held it tightly and hit it with my pneumatic staple gun.

You really need to improve those wires though as that will deff be your next problem. Get the rubber grommets that crimp ring terminals come with and put that on your wire, cut the wires end to the right length and then take the wire terminal and crimp it on a bench vice (or anything else like that so it has a tight crimp on the wire), then i put some flux on the top of the wire inside the crimp terminal and then soldered the wire in with lead free solder (expensive as all hell but works great). I can hang from the crimp terminals i made for how tight they are held in place.

Take it from me, i made lazy cuts on my previous builds and i almost lost my car from it a few times. Just crimping a terminal is alright but you can still yank the wire out of that and start a fire. Now if you crimp it and solder it, i find it has a way stronger bond and is damn near impossible to rip it out of the terminals crimp.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

What's the link to your build thread? Or a picture of your battery mount? I liked TheyDontWantMusic's battery mount, also.

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

Hahaha i didnt mount my battery at all. What i did is made my box the EXACT width of room i had from the side case of the battery rack to the wheel well hump i had in the rear seat. Then what i had for where the rear seats are is a little hump so the batteries cannot slide up if i slammed on my brakes hard. i did have a problem with the batteries sliding back a little when i hit the gas hard or went up a steep hill. My dad gave me the brilliant idea to cut up the rubber paddles he had for our old snow thrower that we replaced the paddles on a few years ago and i cut two pieces that were about 2 inches wide and 1 inch deep. I put those pieces on each corner at the rear battery which is near my lift gate. I also took the pieces of rubber and cleaned them up so they were really sticky to the touch and put them in. I cant get the battery to slide, even if i went and pulled on them i cant get them to budge.

I doubt you can do what i did since you prob dont have rubber as thick as the paddle wheels i had (its about 1/4 thick) but heres another idea.

Get some 2x2 or 2x4 boards and make them so that they wrap around your d3100 tightly but so that it has some room for you to lift it out if it needs to be replaced. Once you have that case made for it take some plywood (or mdf, maybe scrap pieces from your box if you have any) and cut it to the outer dimensions of your battery and glue/screw it down so that the plywood is screwed tightly to the 2x2 or 2x4's you previously cut and assembled. Then once its put together put some carpeting for a enclosure on it and let the glue dry for 24 hours and then put it in.

The only problem with this is that since you have a trunk, your carpeting in the trunk isnt really held in place like the carpeting in my truck which is screwed down in some spots.

I think you will be alright for just using the same metal that they used that caught on fire on the battery but in a different way. Granted that isnt very strong and will easily break in a strong impact situation, it will hold the battery down well. Just get the battery up next to your subwoofer box and then wrap the metal around the side of the battery and screw it in tight into the enclosure. For any wires that may have a risk of rubbing and getting punctured on the metal bracket, simply get some wiring grommet casing (idk what its really called but its that ribbed plastic that your wiring harness' are contained within on your vehicles stock wires) and put that near there so it wont cut through.

Also, here is the quick pics and vids i posted of my system as a run-through. I didnt make a build log as i was rushing to get it done and didnt want to screw around with pausing to take pics. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/116985-kickass-audios-new-system/

If you need me to, i can measure the dimensions of my d3100 and make a drawing for how to cut the 2x2's and put it on the box.

I hope those batts don't release gasses..

of course they do.

really not enough to worry about though.

I'd planned to make a ventilation system for them, but the car is now gone.

paid $80 each for the batteries, they were to run a SounDigital 16kd, that never arrived.

I hope those batts don't release gasses..

of course they do.

really not enough to worry about though.

I'd planned to make a ventilation system for them, but the car is now gone.

paid $80 each for the batteries, they were to run a SounDigital 16kd, that never arrived.

Lol, you give advice to secure batts "properly" and are using batts that aren't sealed. ><

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.