Second Skin Audio

Trying to Tune My Box To 33hz ..... I'm Lost!

dereileak

dimdereileak215s.jpg

let me know if you need any others. i dont think you should.. also the 3 edges at end of the port are rounded 3/8" same as the one inside top lid part.

and dudewith4x4 that would be badass. :drink40:

EDIT: btw all wood is 3/4"

Im wondering if you could design one with the subs on top, inverted, cause thats how I want to do it, then have the port come out the middle back of the box over the battery, coming up and over the top pointing towards the front of the vehicle, thats how I want to build it, ill sketch up something, the main thing is I need to leave room to mount a 2500.1 in the back where I where I am building another amp rack :P

desgin.png

Thats how I wanna Desgin it, with the port shooting up the front :P gotta make sure it clears that amp rack, like 6 inches deep would be fine, I would love ya for that :D 33hz a good tuning frequency for lows?

uhhhh <_< alrighty but youll owe me. ;) and from what i was seeing, you would want to shoot for 30hz tune to get as low as you can get with out making a bigger box. i have something in mind for how your sketch is. ill scribble something for you, maybe ill sketch it if i get bored enough... :shrug:

dimdereileak215s.jpg

let me know if you need any others. i dont think you should.. also the 3 edges at end of the port are rounded 3/8" same as the one inside top lid part.

and dudewith4x4 that would be badass. :drink40:

EDIT: btw all wood is 3/4"

Im wondering if you could design one with the subs on top, inverted, cause thats how I want to do it, then have the port come out the middle back of the box over the battery, coming up and over the top pointing towards the front of the vehicle, thats how I want to build it, ill sketch up something, the main thing is I need to leave room to mount a 2500.1 in the back where I where I am building another amp rack :P

desgin.png

Thats how I wanna Desgin it, with the port shooting up the front :P gotta make sure it clears that amp rack, like 6 inches deep would be fine, I would love ya for that :D 33hz a good tuning frequency for lows?

uhhhh <_< alrighty but youll owe me. ;) and from what i was seeing, you would want to shoot for 30hz tune to get as low as you can get with out making a bigger box. i have something in mind for how your sketch is. ill scribble something for you, maybe ill sketch it if i get bored enough... :shrug:

at least he's not asking for much :popcorn:

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

so i did some number crunching to get the same port area your going to need it to be like 9in tall on top of the box and that means 9in deep back into the hatch dont think that will work but i may have a solution how about a port width wise of the box and fireing up so you dont even see it. in your rear view mirror. drawing up now.

okay so i figured it out shouldn't be to space consuming and still work perfectly. its 2.25x22.5 inner port. all 3/4 boards again. firing strait up flush with top. note you will need at least 1, id do 2 more bracing dowels from the front to back. its tuned at 32-33hz. i figured it would be easier for me to just use sketch up than to draw something then scan it then blah blah blah....

mhmm.jpg

so the pieces you would need. 1: 24x15.375at point(45degreeangle) 1: 24x3.6875(at pointS) 2: 16.5x2.25 1: 11x2.25(middle support) 1: 24x1.125(at point) this will be the hardest to cut right if you cut it like i designed.

okay so i figured it out shouldn't be to space consuming and still work perfectly. its 2.25x22.5 inner port. all 3/4 boards again. firing strait up flush with top. note you will need at least 1, id do 2 more bracing dowels from the front to back. its tuned at 32-33hz. i figured it would be easier for me to just use sketch up than to draw something then scan it then blah blah blah....

mhmm.jpg

so the pieces you would need. 1: 24x15.375at point(45degreeangle) 1: 24x3.6875(at pointS) 2: 16.5x2.25 1: 11x2.25(middle support) 1: 24x1.125(at point) this will be the hardest to cut right if you cut it like i designed.

omg, this is amazing!!! Thanks so much!!!!! That should work, I gotta make sure it will clear the hatch, but this is perfect!!! :D will that be enough port area also to make sure it doesnt have noise? man, im excited, I finally have some design for the port, I will stick my box in my car tomorrow just to verify that I will have room for that in the hatch, but man is that awesome!!!! just wanna make for sure that its tuned right, idk how to calc that, but I just wanna make sure before I go and cut all my wood, I think im might almost be out of 3/4's mdf, so I will either have to go buy some more, or double up some 1/2 inch stuff, thanks again man!!! :D also how big do I cut the hole in the box? 22.5 x 2.25?

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Seriously still trying to do this port?

Damn man. Just stuff it with polyfill sealed and bump already.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

is there anything wrong with that port?

ill lose a shit ton of spl with a sealed box, I know ill sacrfice some sq, but still, I can make this work, I have room for an outside port, I dont get why you guys think its such a bad idea, this is about 50 inches of square port area, about 8 inches per cubic foot, not to bad really, will sound pretty good I imagine

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

about 8 inches per cubic foot

that's pretty tiny imo. a properly done sealed box > a poorly done ported box. you're trying to get too much out of too little thinking it will sound good just because it's ported. wrong direction to go in. but if you build it and are happy with it, no worries then i guess

about 8 inches per cubic foot

that's pretty tiny imo. a properly done sealed box > a poorly done ported box. you're trying to get too much out of too little thinking it will sound good just because it's ported. wrong direction to go in. but if you build it and are happy with it, no worries then i guess

Very well said.

Sealed. Do this. Ray is a master and his word is gold (usually :ehh: ) Sealed, the box can be smaller and still hit the freq you are looking for. Not like you plan on competing or you would have used your whole hatch to make it work, amongst other things. Turn the subs around, make the box sealed and give up on the port...figured I'd say it twice in post vs having to say it again lol

Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT.) -- 1.8

Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT.) -- 5.2

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Archived